AMD 5000 Motherboard Advice

Associate
It looks like the AMD 5000 series will blow Intel out of the water in single threaded gaming performance.

I am just in process of ordering an Intel 10900K PC. I am beginning to think it is a mistake. I already have a 3090 strix oc on pre order for delivery next week so I do need a PC to go with it. I dont want it sitting on a shelf until Nov it is too good a graphics card.

I have not yet paid for the Intel and am in talks with sales team on the build. I am seriously thinking of switching to AMD. Single threaded and gaming performance are very important to me, which is why I chose the Intel over the AMD in the first place. If AMD are going to win on single threaded in Nov release then that is going to be the CPU I want.

Best single-thread performance is the criteria I will use to choose a CPU.

I am thinking I will just buy a bottom-of-the-line AMD as a stop gap till Nov then buy hopefully 5850x if I can get one and afford it.

However: I dont however want to end up with a second best Mobo and have to sell that too, as I want to buy a quality Mobo that will be permanent to my build.

So, the question really is, Is AMD going to release a new chipset with the 5000 series in Nov? Is this something people would know or something AMD would keep secret?

Is the current X570 chipsets perfectly good for next series ?

Thanks for anyone who answers.

Associate
We still haven't heard anything about a new X670 chipset.

Some have suggested there could be an X590 or similar, that is Zen 3 compatible out of the box, rather than needing a new BIOS, but that's still just conjecture as far as I know.

Personally, I have an X570 lined up and ready, but I am not quite as bleeding-edge as you, and will be getting a mid-range Zen 3, rather than the very top :)

Soldato
Wouldn't expect big win in single core performance, but Zen3 will no doubt give more cores per price for better future proofness with heavily threaded next-gen games and all the background bloat of Wintoys PC.
(and better energy efficiency under heavy loads)

There were rumours about X670 chipset, but it's been very silent on that front now.
And really suspect there's no new chipset:
- Current range is very good from still IO-monster all PCIe v4 X570 to PCIe v4 for consumers B550.
- And there won't be new AM4 CPUs after Zen3, which would make any new chipset short lived with AM5 and DDR5 being next step.​

In motherboard you don't need to pay any luxury prices.
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Eltet has solid feature set and overkill CPU VRM, which barely has to do work with stock 12/16 cores.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Though if needing Wifi MSI X570 Tomahawk is instant choise.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

Updating BIOS is this easy in proper feature set boards, so don't worry about waiting for "compatible" boards:

Back
Top Bottom