• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

amd 64 / 64fx / 64x2

Associate
Hi

I need to upgrade my pc & i'm really out of touch with it all nowadays. I'm in need of the latest amd cpu but am not sure which one to go for?? I want an amd dual core cpu as obviously these are faster. i'm not an overclocker and I don't intend to overclock. I enjoy playing games now & again, but i mostly use my pc for home recording studio purposes & digital photography. Can somebody recommend a cpu that is best for me please? Do i need the latest amd 64x2? or will the amd 64 / 64fx surfice?

Please advise on the make of core also?

I have searched the threads in here for an answer to my question, but most of the threads relate to overclocking, (i'm a bit boring & not so advanced you see).

Would appreciate the help

Associate
Why do you need AMD and what’s your budget? Intel Conroe is best chip atm.

You would be better of posting a spec me thread in the general hardware section that asking about each individual component. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks AmaTex but it is an amd that I want, appreciate the advise though.

I've just realised I meant to say in my above thread that it is an amd am2 socket that i need, not a socket 939 as i want DDR2 memory support! D'oh!

Any suggestions anyone please with regards to my above thread?

Associate
Well best AMD chip is the FX62 2.80GHz and that’s £493 inc vat for £123 less you could get the Intel Core 2 DUO E6700 which is superior to the FX62 in all aspects. Even with the FX62 at 3Ghz the stock E6700 is faster. :)

But then if you don’t intend to base your decision on a price/performance ratio get what you want because it wont matter to any one else. :eek:

Soldato
i have to agree, even a e6600 would keep up with the fx62 and surpass it in some instances and this is again cheaper! for a upgrade especially if you are using ddr2 ram anyways am2 would be the fools option at the minute!

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for the advice!

Forgive my ignorance but we've all gotta start somewhere.....is the Intel Core 2 Duo chip the latest Intel Cpu on the market? I take it by it's name it is a dual core chip???

For some reason I've always just had amd so don't know anything about Intel chips....especially in comparison to amd chips!!?????

So are you telling me that with Intel I can have a faster, better performing chip than I can with amd for the price??? :confused: :confused:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice Snowdog!

thing is i'm a novice & know nothing about overclocking! i don't intend to overclock either because of my ignorance. so what chip is best for me, with a budget of £120 out of Intel & Amd for performance??

Soldato
hmm hard one, its either a x2 4200 from amd or a e6300 from intel, i'd say intel tbh as theye cooler and a gen up (they have sse4 while amd's dont) , and still a little bit faster in most stuff, not 100% sure tho...

EDIT: ignore what i said here b4, corrected:c2d E6300 all the way.

Last edited:
Associate
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300.

In most apps you should find it performs on a par with middle of the line X2's or better. In some apps it will beat even the top end AMD chips. There are no situations really where the AMDs perform better. The only reason to go for an X2 is if you have the motherboard etc already. I guess the AM2 boards are cheaper than a decent Conroe board which also counts in their favour (a bit).

Soldato
Papa Lazarou said:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300.

In most apps you should find it performs on a par with middle of the line X2's or better. In some apps it will beat even the top end AMD chips. There are no situations really where the AMDs perform better. The only reason to go for an X2 is if you have the motherboard etc already. I guess the AM2 boards are cheaper than a decent Conroe board which also counts in their favour (a bit).

3dm06cpu_00.gif

http://www.maxitmag.com/maxit-reviews/processors/intel-1.86ghz-core-2-duo-e6300-review/2/

based on that i draw my conclusions ,that site even says the 3800 x2 is faster as 6300

EDIT: woops, i didnt notice the 3800 oced, i stand corrected, get a e6300 from intel ;)

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone for your opinions & advise, also for the links from snowdog & bilston!

Had a read of the above benchmark results but most of it was to do with overclocking...i think. As i'm not going to overclock, which is going to be the better performing chip available out of all the intel & amd dual core processors????

When they say "at stock", i take it they mean "not overclocked"????

Thanks a lot guys :)

Soldato
nevski said:
Thanks to everyone for your opinions & advise, also for the links from snowdog & bilston!

Had a read of the above benchmark results but most of it was to do with overclocking...i think. As i'm not going to overclock, which is going to be the better performing chip available out of all the intel & amd dual core processors????

When they say "at stock", i take it they mean "not overclocked"????

Thanks a lot guys :)

Yeah, at stock = non overclocked, if you plan on keeping your pc at stock then for 120 quid best cpu u can get is a c2d E6300.

Back
Top Bottom