[AMD 785G Chipset] Installing a Radeon GPU

Soldato
Hello,

I am just about to install a Radeon HD4870 into a system that is based on the AMD 785 chipset, which is currently using the onboard IGP for graphics etc

What I am wondering is how I approach this as I already have a set of CAT drivers installed for the HD4200 IGP which are also the chipset drivers for the 785G motherboard?

• If I uninstall the combined drivers before installing the HD4870 I will be missing chipset drivers?
  • If I leave the combined drivers installed and use the newer HD4870 cats won't there be a conflict or sorts?
Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)

RJC

RJC

Don
Hi Big.Wayne, what motherboard are you using, I think your using a Asus motherboard from some of your replies in other threads?

Looking on the Asus website there's a driver for the chipset and separate one for the gpu, it may be the case of un-installing the gpu and see what happens, windows may auto install.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Hey looks like you could be right? :confused:

I'm still running from the retail CD-ROM drivers and that seems to combine both chipset & GPU into one, ahh good old nOOby teething problems heh! :p

RJC

RJC

Don
Man if your calibre should have no problems :p

I tend to use latest drivers from the manufacturers website when installing drivers, one of things I learnt from other members here :)

Soldato
OP
Lol I'm doing 20 things at once and I wanted to get some late night gaming sorted later so just checking the path ahead heh! ;)

I'm pretty sure the chipset and IGP are combined in one driver as I can't find an entry in Add/Remove programs relating to chipset drivers?

Still time I moved on and used some of the latest website stuff, getting lazy in my old age!

Thanks for the help all! :cool:

[edit]

I tend to use latest drivers from the manufacturers website when installing drivers, one of things I learnt from other members here :)
strangely enough I have never done that, I always use the drivers off the CD-ROM first, run with those for a few weeks then restore a ghosted backup of the fresh install and start again using only the latest Website drivers . . .

Soldato
OP
Ok so I thought I was being a nOOby but installing an AMD Radeon into an AMD 785G it is a bit more of a convoluted process than what I'm used to heh! :p

Going from an install using the 785G chipset with the HD4200 IGP to a dedicated AMD GPU is as simple going to add/remove programs and clicking the uninstall ATI Catalyst™ options and you see the sceen below where you get the option to just remove the IGP drivers and leave the chipset intact (they are combined heh I told ya!), after that your free to install the latest Catalyst™ for the GPU!

Going from a clean install on a 785G straight to dedicated graphics is a bit more fiddly, you have to untick several boxes to get it to install *just* the chipset drivers . . . and I was wondering why the chipset driver download was 300MBs, they should have a seperate *chipset* only option hah! :p

atidriverconfusion.gif

I also don't think there is a way to *disable* the IGP when you install the GPU? at least It's not obvious to me? . . . I also noticed that I had two HDMI audio going, one from the mobo and one from the HD4870 although that's easy to fix as you can disable the onboard HDMI audio . .

785ggraphicoptions.jpg

And of course the gratuitous before and after shot badly lit with my headtorch! ;)

igptogpu.jpg

"100% AMD weeee!"

Caporegime
I used to get caught out badly on my evga 680i board, almost every time i uninstalled the nvidia graphics card drivers i mistakenly deleted the nforce chipset drivers as well.:o

Associate
;) looks good, only that small fan for DDR, you don’t need that,
For remove ATI drivers I normally use only Add or Remove in control panel 

As you want...

Last edited:
Associate
Just one week ago, build up PC with this motherboard for my parents – so far so good, but of course, they are using onboard VGA

Soldato
I just uninstall the IGP part of the drivers, shut down, install graphics card and then check that the BIOS is searching the PCI-E slot first. Finally, proceed into Windows and install GPU driver.

Back
Top Bottom