• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 9700x a 'good' CPU?

Soldato
I have various components already purchased because of the prime day deals.

I need a CPU and motherboard. I'm thinking of the 9700x and wondered if this is a bad choice? I know about the x3Ds coming out soon for the 9000 series but these built for serious gaming users but I'm more casual. I'm coming from an 8th gen intel which is ancient now.

Thanks

I have various components already purchased because of the prime day deals.

I need a CPU and motherboard. I'm thinking of the 9700x and wondered if this is a bad choice? I know about the x3Ds coming out soon for the 9000 series but these built for serious gaming users but I'm more casual. I'm coming from an 8th gen intel which is ancient now.

Thanks
The reason for the bad press and the grumpy so and so’s in these forums is because the gaming performance did not see a significant uplift. AMD went for better power efficiency and server optimisation. Is it a bad chip not at all. Is it a good chip. Yes I would say so. Funny thing is it looks like intel have done exactly the same thing with there new chips.

I'm thinking of the 9700x and wondered if this is a bad choice?
With the 7800X3D creeping up to £400, the 9700X is looking much more attractive, though you can often get a 7700 non-X/7700X much cheaper and for most usage you're unlikely to notice much difference.

does it have a bit of overhead space for some light overclocking?
Not really no.

Worth picking up a good high quality heatsink
A peerless assassin/phantom spirit will do.

Last edited:
With the 7800X3D creeping up to £400, the 9700X is looking much more attractive, though you can often get a 7700 non-X/7700X much cheaper and for most usage you're unlikely to notice much difference.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong skus there is £40 difference between the two. I wouldn't call that being 'much cheaper'

Last edited:
Unless I'm looking at the wrong skus there is £40 difference between the two. I wouldn't call that being 'much cheaper'
The 7700X was available in a recent UK deal around £200 and more commonly around £250.

The 7700 non-X is obtainable for ~£200 if you're happy with a bundle, or significantly less if you're prepared to import one (a few on here have done so).

I'm fairly confident that the £200 price point will be hit over the coming weeks, since the discount has been available for some time in other countries (..don't know why we've been so slow in the UK).

My go to right now would be the 7700 (non-X). It's within 5% of the 7700X, which itself is within 5% of the 9700X. For significantly less money it's well worth buying over the 9700X IMHO.

For a motherboard, depending how much IO you need, I'd look for a good B650E board. Pair this up with a set of CL30 DDR5 6000 RAM and you're set.

Yes its a very good CPU, especially at 4K where the performance difference of the lowest and highest end CPU`s in the same generation really cant be seen by eye in real world gaming. Not by myself anyway.
Personally at 4K I doubt very much that I would ever be able to tell the difference between a 7600x and a 9950x

My go to right now would be the 7700 (non-X). It's within 5% of the 7700X, which itself is within 5% of the 9700X. For significantly less money it's well worth buying over the 9700X IMHO.

For a motherboard, depending how much IO you need, I'd look for a good B650E board. Pair this up with a set of CL30 DDR5 6000 RAM and you're set.

Just cancelled 7600 to go for 7700.

Back
Top Bottom