• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Announces 'Fusion' CPU/GPU Program

Associate
With the completion of AMD's acquisition of ATI, AMD has announced its working on new CPU/GPU silicon that integrates the CPU and graphics processor into a single unit. The upcoming silicon is currently codenamed Fusion and is expected in the late 2008 or early 2009 time frame. AMD claims Fusion will bring:
The Fusion chips aim to increase performance-per-Watt for applications such as 3D graphics, digital media and technical computing. In a press statement, AMD suggested the processors will leverage both its coherent HyperTransport interconnect as well as PCI Express to link to external co-processors. The Fusion plan could give AMD a lead in delivering multi-core products using different kinds of processing blocks. Today, Intel and AMD are in a neck-and-neck battle to deliver CPUs with two and four x86 cores per chip.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193402037

Soldato
AMD seem to be taking a much more energy efficient stance while intel have recently nabbed performance. I suppose AMD largely won their market share in the server sector through efficient chips.

Man of Honour
Nogimmix said:
Hmmmm, must not get this mixed up with the razor blade as I would look silly trying to shave with a CPU/GPU!!

If you find yourself spreading a thin layer of AS5 over your chin then step away from the graphics card!

Soldato
krooton said:
Or perhaps tax rebates due to new green laws?

Intel chips are more efficent now, in all ways. By more than half the power in some cases.

AMD are at the moment selling "worse" products that Intel, (Worse being slower, use more power, more heat etc).

I wonder if AMD will try for high efficency but not top performance, while Intel will keep at the top?

Back
Top Bottom