• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Socket 939)

Associate
Hi I have ordered the processor today to give my system a little boost. Or kick up the backside.
At the moment I have an Athlon64 3200+ (Venice) Processor.
Can I cofirm the following:
Can the multiplier be changed from 11 to 10?
This would suit me better as I have Corsair (2GB) DDR XMS4000PT TwinX memory (2*1GB 3-4-4-8 @ 2V8) The RAM could be run at 1:1 which is what I am running it on now.
I am going to re-install XP Pro and install the X2 driver and optimizer for the OS.
What voltage should I run the CPU on I was thinking 1.425V (+3.3% VID)
Memory will be at stock voltage.
Is it true some games/processes dont utilize the extra L2 Cache? I have 2*1MB instead of 2*512KB
What do you guys think
Here is my new rig.

MSI Neo2 Platinum (BIOS modded by sideeffect based on 1c [TCCD] Edition)
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo Core)
Sapphire X850 XT PE (AGP)
Corsair DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (3-4-4-8 1T @ 2V8)
300GB Hatachi Deskstar SATA
650W True Power PSU (12V - 30A)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum

I will be updating next year (after I'm married!!) To an AM2 (Crossfire rig)
using twin X1950 XT-X cards! This will keep me going meantime!
Jonnygrunge.

Soldato
All sounds good! Don't think you can increase the multiplier on standard 64's and x2's you can only decrease them! Only the fx series processors have unlocked multipliers that allow you to freely play with the number!

I think you'll see the biggest difference in multitasking stuff on the desktop - surfing the net, whilst encoding video, whilst writing a dvd, etc!

Games will eventually take advantage of the dual cores more and more! Only a few do so at present!

The system you've got sounds real good and should serve you well for a good deal of time!

I have an x850xt too and am thinking about an upgrade! But for the moment it does just fine! FarCry at 1360x1024 with everything high suits me down to the ground! :cool:

Enjoy your improved toy!

gt

Associate
Let me know how your 4400 overclocks. I got one about 6 weeks ago and it hits 3Ghz.

Get the stepping aswell, if its a CCBIE you'll be in for a treat.

Russty

Associate
OP
Overclocks as I need it to, not sure of the stepping whether its CCB1E or CCBWE though forgot to check before I fitted my A64 heatsink!
Iam running it at 2.5GHz stable (10 x 250) @ 1.425V + 3.3% VID around 1.47V is this OK? Or can the voltage be lowered slightly? Is there any way of finding out the stepping without removing the heatsink? It runs about 41oC no load and goes up to about 47-52oC under full load! I think these temps are fine! My RAM is running 1:1 with the "FSB" giving its effective DDR speed of 500MHz (3-4-4-8 @ 2.75V) Hyper-transport is still at 1GHz (4 x 250).
See what you think!
Jonnygrunge

Associate
looking at your voltage/speeds/temps i'd say a CCBWE. if you got a heatpipe heatsink with it when you bought it i'd say definately a CCBWE.

temps are fine but don't push it any higher without better cooling.

Russty

Associate
Jonnygrunge said:
Iam running it at 2.5GHz stable (10 x 250) @ 1.425V + 3.3% VID around 1.47V is this OK? Or can the voltage be lowered slightly?
Some of the recent X2s will do 2.5Ghz a 1.35v or less, i have a 4200+ (LCB9E 0634) and have it running at 2.6Ghz on 1.25v but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Associate
OP
Hi again guys,
I removed the heatsink, It's an Arctic Cooling A64 Freezer Pro, cleaned the heatspreader, and heatsink base ands applied some Arctic Cooling Arctic Silver 5 (High Density) compound as instucted by Arctic Cooling themselves! My temps now at my settings are 38-40oC no load and up top 50oC depending on the load! My CPU is a CCBIE 0610DPMW and I still think after checking with other people my temps a re a tad high! Do you think I would get away with lowering my CPU VID to stock (around 1.3V, set to VID at statup in BIOS) this slight voltage decrease may reduce the overall power consumption thus lowering the temps marginally or do you not think it will make any difference? I have discovered that the temp of the cpu is linked exponentially to the power consumption/clock speed of the CPU. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. What are your settings with a simalar type of CPU/Mainboard for the clockspeed? My mobo is a Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 Ultra 250).
Thanks.
Jonnygrunge.

Associate
if you have a CCBIE you should be able to get at least 2.6Ghz on stock volts most get even higher. What are your case temps like?

If they are high like mine used to be, i.e very high - get a better case with a side fan or mod your case.

With my CCBIE at 3GHz at 1.55V my temps were similar to the ones you are reporting now.

If this doesn't help then you have got a very rare poor overclocking CCBIE.

I have a few more questions:

What case do you use?
What graphics card do you use?
What power supply do you have?

Russty

Associate
OP
Hi,
Took your advice mate and dropped voltage back to stock (1.32V) syatem stable. Temps now max out at about 45oC under load so made quite a difference! Thanks man! I have a Thermaltake Soprano case which I have not long bought from oCUk. Only thing is it does not have the side panel with the 12cm fan! I had to go for the poor mans version. I can and will in time order up the side panel with fan assembly from Thermaltake. Should allow for better airflow! Also I have just pre-ordered a GeCube ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-004-GC) from oCUK, very excited, this should welcome me quite nicely into next gen gaming! Who says AGP is dead? Hope it will also support DX10 which is on the horizon will support new pixel shaders! Later.
Jonnygrunge.

Associate
OP
My specs are as follows:
MSI Neo2 Platinum (BIOS modded by sideeffect based on 1c [TCCD] Edition)
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo Core) AC A64 Freezer Pro Heatsink
Sapphire X850 XT PE (AGP) @ stock
Corsair DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (3-4-4-8 1T @ 2V8)
300GB Hatachi Deskstar SATA
650W True Power PSU (12V - 30A)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Thermaltake Soprano (no side panel fan)

Associate
Hi Jonnygrunge,

Are you priming both cores (100%) at the same time for your load readings?

On my setup I runing at 2.66 using 1.5v 1:1 11* 242, but I am water cooling

Back
Top Bottom