AMD Compatability

Associate
I ordered some M.2 drives and RAM
The RAM arrived and the Corsair box states 'Memory for AMD' (didn't know it was processor-specific)

The First of the M.2 drives arrived - Crucial T7000 Pro 2TB, this has no wording to state it's processor specific, but thought I'd check, is there AMD specific M.2 drives ? like the RAM I thought they were processor agnostic.

It should be fine. That SSD is gen5 but will still work with a gen4 board if you have one. If you don't have a gen5 board is there a reason you bought that SSD?

The RAM thing is odd in my opinion, many manufacturers sell what seems to be the same kits with XMP or EXPO but I'm not sure what the actual difference is apart from them saying it will work.

Last edited:
In short, You don't need to worry about the hard drive.

Ram... if I recall, it's like have a a product that has a tuning profile specific to that brand of cpu. But it does not mean it will not work on others.
Many still say this then have both anyway.

It reminds me of, if you see certified ram from your motherboard manufacturer, does not mean other ram wont work, just they have tested those and cannot test all.

It is for a Gen 5 board - has PCIe5 from one of the M.2 slots to the CPU (Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master) .. will use this as the main OS & application storage + work in progress.
I'll use Gen 4 M.2 in the other M.2 slots which will be for stored files.

As said, the difference between EXPO and XMP on memory is that their profiles are intended for AMD or Intel respectively. There can be differences in the timings and memory chips used, but they're usually very similar and you can use XMP in most AMD boards.

Back
Top Bottom