• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FreeSync(TM) - Q&A with Shane Parfitt, Technology Manager AMD

Caporegime
OP
Major disappointment - I take it that includes the 280X? :(

AMD’s implementation of Virtual Super Resolution uses an AMD Radeon graphics card’s hardware scaler to perform downsampling on a game’s rendered output before it reaches the user’s displays. These hardware scalers have varying capabilities across the AMD Radeon R9 and R7 Series, and the supported resolutions reflect these capabilities.

AMD intends to deploy a “phase 2” update to Virtual Super Resolution in the near future that will explore alternative implementations to enable Virtual Super Resolution on all AMD Radeon™ R7 260 (or higher) GPUs with a variety of downsampling options. This includes the R9 280/280X.

Caporegime
VSR will not be introduced to the HD 7000 Series.

AMD intends to deploy a “phase 2” update to Virtual Super Resolution in the near future that will explore alternative implementations to enable Virtual Super Resolution on all AMD Radeon™ R7 260 (or higher) GPUs with a variety of downsampling options. This includes the R9 280/280X.

I'll just leave this here.

Soldato
Thanks for getting these questions answered Matt, These Q&A things are one thing i do think AMD do way better then Nvidia :)

bru

bru

Soldato
How is it possible for certain 7970's to be flashed with a 280x bios then? Would that mean those particular cards could run vsr after flash?

More likely if I'm reading what Matt wrote correctly, that those particular 7970 wont work and possibly neither will the 280x's the bios came from.
If there are subtle revisions between the 7970 and the 280x that haven't been adhered too in certain board or bios then it might make things difficult.

Soldato
More likely if I'm reading what Matt wrote correctly, that those particular 7970 wont work and possibly neither will the 280x's the bios came from.
If there are subtle revisions between the 7970 and the 280x that haven't been adhered too in certain board or bios then it might make things difficult.

It is a interesting situation i thought most reviewers said 280x's were a rebranded 7970 , I wonder what changed on them to allow VSR

Soldato
AMD’s implementation of Virtual Super Resolution uses an AMD Radeon graphics card’s hardware scaler to perform downsampling on a game’s rendered output before it reaches the user’s displays. These hardware scalers have varying capabilities across the AMD Radeon R9 and R7 Series, and the supported resolutions reflect these capabilities.

Wasn't this driver coming on the 19th March supposed to be the "phase 2" driver.

We're bringing up to 4K VSR to all R9 and R7 Series products, 260 and higher, with a driver update in Jan/Feb. The 280X/280/270X/270 lack some specific hardware that architecturally newer products (285 & 290s) have, so an alternative implementation must be explored. That will take a little more time.
Rest easy, bud. We'll get you the feature you care about.

Sincerely,
Robert

We're bringing up to 4K VSR to all R9 and R7 Series products, 260 and higher, with a driver update in Jan/Feb.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2oqgk5/amd_launches_new_catalyst_omega_drivers/

:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom