• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU - Nvidia G-Sync Monitor Compatability

Associate
Hi guys,

As many of us I am still in the queue for my RTX 3080 and am starting to lose the will to live. I am now seeing AMD 6800XT's become available and possibly offered as a replacement to us people waiting in the 3080 queue.

My question is regarding the fact that I have an ultrawide 3440x1440 AOC GSYNC monitor and have always stuck with Nvidia cards. If I were to go to AMD would this be a mistake as I believe I would lose my GSYNC benefits? Would this even be a noticeable thing? Or is it quite important and I should stick to Nvidia for this?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

TIA.

Soldato
What's the exact model? If it's one of the Gsync Ultimate or Gsync Compatible ones then I believe it will work with AMD. You can try turning Gsync off and see if it makes any difference that you can notice. If it has one of the old, standard Gsync modules that doesn't work with AMD then you could sell it and buy one that does (if you notice the difference).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. It's an AOC AGON AG352UCG6 which I believe is one of the older ones, so not AMD compatible?

I suppose I could test out some games atm with g sync turned off, see if I notice any differences.

Would be a shame to miss out on my monitors main feature, also would be a pain and a shame to sell my perfectly good monitor just to then buy a free sync one so I can get a 6800XT. But I'm also equally fed up of waiting for a 3080, first world dilemmas...

Soldato
I suppose I could test out some games atm with g sync turned off, see if I notice any differences.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm also lumbered with a module-based G-Sync monitor and can't justify upgrading it yet, but I do flit back and forth between AMD and Nvidia cards all the same. I don't think not having adaptive sync is the end of the world, especially if you're getting a powerful card that will drive high framerates. For me, the benefits are most noticeable when you can't quite hold 60fps in a game and it's frequently dipping below. At 120fps+ it's a lot more difficult to notice, and indeed I sometimes turn off G-Sync to use ULMB instead when I can already push high framerates. Of course, ULMB doesn't work on a G-Sync module-based monitor either with an AMD card.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. It's an AOC AGON AG352UCG6 which I believe is one of the older ones, so not AMD compatible?

Would be a shame to miss out on my monitors main feature, also would be a pain and a shame to sell my perfectly good monitor just to then buy a free sync one so I can get a 6800XT. But I'm also equally fed up of waiting for a 3080, first world dilemmas...
What would be your budget for a new monitor and would you want to get an ultrawide, do you care about HDR? There are some very good Gsync Compatible/Freesync monitors out there for a decent price that work with both AMD and Nvidia.

Associate
I was in a similar situation when I bought my 6800 XT, but again didn't want to wait. I found it perfectly usable on my G-sync only monitor, in virtually all games I was playing I got 100+ FPS and didn't notice it's loss. I did use v-sync instead however with the associated input lag but because I don't play many competitive games it wasn't an issue. With your higher resolution your frame rates will be lower depending on what you play however, so your experience may differ.

I later bought a a Samsung G7 for the extra size, VA panel and refresh rate so once again have adaptive sync functionality, but in terms of smoothness I haven't really noticed a difference.

I'll also add that below 60fps while using a 1080 Ti with G-sync enabled I still found the experience somewhat frustrating with noticeable stutter. Again, it's a subjective thing. Definitely try some games without G-sync enabled (and maybe reduced settings to emulate the kind of frame rate you could expect with a 6800 XT) to see how you find it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys. I have found that the ultrawide resolution is rather demanding on the fps, so hence my concern about losing g sync, although I am on a 2060 atm, so a fairly big upgrade if I go 3080 or 6800xt.

I'll have a think about it and try and make a decision!

Back
Top Bottom