AMD laptops in the UK

Associate
Given the current situation with Intel CPUs even extending to mobile chips, where on earth are all the AMD laptops with 4080 or equivalent spec? I've been looking for a while to find a laptop that meets my requirements, but the only ones that come close are Intel-based and too much of a lottery to drop the kind of budget I have in mind on.

Anyone seen anything that has:

4080 (or equivalent)
32 Gb RAM
2 Tb storage (at least)
Ethernet connectivity (not interested in WiFi only)
17/18" screen (OLED not necessarily required)

Anything out there that's not Medion or Lenovo (heard bad things about quality).

Not that I can see. AMD is even greyed out on the side menu when you filter for 17/18" screens. It's like laptop manufacturers forgot AMD exists, at least as far as the UK market goes.

Given the current situation with Intel CPUs even extending to mobile chips, where on earth are all the AMD laptops with 4080 or equivalent spec? I've been looking for a while to find a laptop that meets my requirements, but the only ones that come close are Intel-based and too much of a lottery to drop the kind of budget I have in mind on.

Anyone seen anything that has:

4080 (or equivalent)
32 Gb RAM
2 Tb storage (at least)
Ethernet connectivity (not interested in WiFi only)
17/18" screen (OLED not necessarily required)

Anything out there that's not Medion or Lenovo (heard bad things about quality).
I was looking at Lenovo myself.What bad things have you heard i thought Lenovo was a good brand?

Lenovo has generally had about the best chassis (in the legions) for a last few years. Pretty sure I remember seeing that this years dell was better.

Lenovo are great. Asus have a couple good options but their customer service seems to be garbage.

Most reviewers will recommend either the Lenovo or the Asus and AMD options are available.

Lenovo are horrific for warranty claims, used them at work before moving to Dell and it was their non existent support that made the decision for us.

USB-C charging port failed on 40% of the laptops we had and every single time we placed a waranty call... customer damage. Always ended up complaining to our account manager and getting it repaired but an individual without a massive contract to back them up stands no chance.

Garbage tier products.

Lenovo are horrific for warranty claims, used them at work before moving to Dell and it was their non existent support that made the decision for us.

USB-C charging port failed on 40% of the laptops we had and every single time we placed a waranty call... customer damage. Always ended up complaining to our account manager and getting it repaired but an individual without a massive contract to back them up stands no chance.

Garbage tier products.
Worth knowing tbh. Hadn't seen much feedback at all around lenovo, would have considered them if I hadn't dropped an absolute steal for my XMG Neo.

It looks like AMD will be releasing laptop products later this year with their Strix point and Strix halo chips

Worth knowing tbh. Hadn't seen much feedback at all around lenovo, would have considered them if I hadn't dropped an absolute steal for my XMG Neo.

Are the XMG Neo worth it? They seem rather expensive and as a Europe based manufacturer, what's the deal on their shipping/VAT/customs fees? Shame OCUK aren't resellers like they are with all the other brands, barring Dell ofc.

That said, not seeing a 7945Hx3D option on there, so meh.

Last edited:
Mine was a very good ebay deal. I don't think it's any WORSE than any of the other big name laptops, it's minimal bling, heat has been removed from palm rest area and so far hasn't skipped a beat. Is a 4090 so gets a bit warm but that's expected. Got the hoses for water cooling so that's probably a thing soon.

If I was paying full price... I'd be looking at whatever was good for the money on the day. Wouldn't turn down another XMG though.

Last edited:
I know Acer will have AMD going upto RTX 4070 in the coming months, Asus as already mentioned currently has a AMD upto RTX 4080 in a number of different form factors. Appreciate the comment re Asus returns, however having worked for them in the past it's not a whole lot different compared to other OEM and laptop manufacturer, let's be honest people prob give more bad reviews than good reviews. MSI will also have AMD / RTX shortly and I think that will go upto RTX 4080

Garbage tier products.
After using Lenovo products for years, personally and for business, i can only say that this is far from the experience i have received. NEVER had such an issue with them. Which model of laptop was it? We use Thinkpads and some Legion and they are fantastic, the Thinkpads are particularly robust and their top end Thinkpad workstation series are second to none in the industry.

After using Lenovo products for years, personally and for business, i can only say that this is far from the experience i have received. NEVER had such an issue with them. Which model of laptop was it? We use Thinkpads and some Legion and they are fantastic, the Thinkpads are particularly robust and their top end Thinkpad workstation series are second to none in the industry.
Three out of four of us in the office had X13’s with faulty USB ports but the vast majority have been L series Thinkpads.

The Lenovo Reddit’s full of complaints about failing USB ports and rejected warranty claims, even with their latest models, so it still seems to be a big issue.

How odd. I bet we have over 30-40 in our company.. I believe they are all T15S(Mixture of 2nd and 3rd gen) though I even own a T15S and altho i got it for cheap its a fantastic bit of kit in my opinion. We have also supplied and used a load of P series Thinkpads and they are miles above anything else i have experienced in the mobile workstation market. Like everything it doesnt take much to sully peoples experiences and cause a sour taste in the mouth.

Looks like waiting a few months for the mobile 9000 series is the way to go. It’s a shame, I found out about a company in Kilmarnock that would build something to my other spec requirements apart from only offering 14900hx as the CPU and without the ASUS tax.

Gutted

Garbage tier products.
I had a surprisingly good experience with them recently. Laptop had a bios issue so would just show a black screen.

They arranged for FedEx to collect it next day, and it spent 2 working days at their facility and was sent back the same evening to be delivered next day. A 5 day turnaround altogether.

Back
Top Bottom