• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD PRO A12-9800

Associate
Not sure where the pro comes into it but guessing you mean the bristol ridge APU.
There has been a lot of hostility towards it, I think mainly because it's old architecture released after ryzen and it doesn't make much in the way of gains compared to the previous Kaveri line
However despite this I'm hoping to purchase one of the Bristol ridge line for use in a passive mitx system as it allows for low end gaming in a small power friendly package with the possibility of an upgrade with raven ridge which fingers crossed will take that up to medium settings at 1080p going off the recent performance leaks. To put it in perspective while the benchmark performance might be worse than skull canyon, real life gaming performance seems similar or better at a lower price, while an g4560 and 1030 offers more performance at not much more cost it doesn't lend itself to the smallest or fanless systems as easily.
Basically its a bit of a niche product that is hopefully going to be obsolete in the next 12 months once raven ridge comes out, but it will do if like me you don't want to wait that long.

Soldato
Decent IGP and good upgrade path,but an Intel Core i3 or Pentium G4560 has a better CPU part for gaming. However,sadly Intel has not released their CFL 2C/4T CPUs so you are stuck on the older platform.

However,its been a longstanding issue with the top end BD based APUs,the A6 4T models are the best overall in price/performance. Above that unless you need to do smallish system with no room for a small dGPU,its worth looking at other options.

Another factor is Raven Ridge will be out next year,which hopefully means Ryzen based 2C/4T CPUs under £100.

Soldato
Soldato
OK thanks so the benchmarks I saw are a bit rogue.

Don't get me wrong Bristol Ridge has a surprisingly capable IGP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw11VXVOZ3k

But the Ryzen 3 and Pentium CPUs have the edge in pure PC performance. However,Bristol Ridge is a stopgap. It was actually released last year for OEMs only and has taken yonks to be available for DIY computer builders.

In November AMD will be releasing their Ryzen based APUs for laptops,so hopefully in 1H 2018 we might see the desktop ones.

Soldato
Modern platform, ancient performance.
I guess it could maybe be interesting, if they'd allow higher memory clocks on it...

I liked the 7850K when it was new, but even then the CPU side of things was long in the tooth.

Soldato
Except as a placeholder for Raven Ridge in an AM4 motherboard, I really don't think these CPUs are worth buying at all.
The problem I've been moaning about is that most am4 boards don't have hdmi2.0 ports, only 1.4, or none at all.
There are a few but in Itx format there are none which is unforgivable. Raven Ridge should have been executed along side Ryzen, they've been sat on Carrizo and Bristol Ridge for far too long.

Back
Top Bottom