• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 290X Kuhler mod: Taming Hawaii 'Pic heavy'.

Soldato
is this 'agreement' just with msi? I have asus and gigabyte cards and would be interested if they have the same agreement with overclockers.

Gibbo has only said MSI, but as long as the brand you have doesn't have the warranty sticker on the screws you should be fine as long as you don't damage anyrhing removing/reinstalling the stock cooler.

apg

apg

Associate
Gibbo has only said MSI, but as long as the brand you have doesn't have the warranty sticker on the screws you should be fine as long as you don't damage anyrhing removing/reinstalling the stock cooler.

thanks for info,

you say screws but my 7990 for example has stickers over plastic and not screws so the two stickers would have to be peeled off slightly in order to fully remove the fan housing.

Associate
Yes, the fitting is identical ASFAIK and the bracket I've got explicitly lists the 920 as compatible.

Got myself a bracket and a second-hand 290X on the way. Going to give this a go myself :)

Associate
I need some advice please. I have a 290x and have decided to give this a go. I have bought a bracket and a second hand corsair cooler. What do I plug the cooler plug into? I guess the fans plug into the mobo but Is there a connector on the gfx card or do i use a fan connection point on the mobo for that as well?

Permabanned
I need some advice please. I have a 290x and have decided to give this a go. I have bought a bracket and a second hand corsair cooler. What do I plug the cooler plug into? I guess the fans plug into the mobo but Is there a connector on the gfx card or do i use a fan connection point on the mobo for that as well?

Use your motherboard header for both the pump and fans

Associate
I did this mod to my 290X yesterday and I've been extremely pleased with the results. Running the card at 1200/1250 @ +100mV the hgighest core temp I've seen while benching is 58 degrees. VRM temps are max at 89 and that's with heatsinks but no fan mounted to the bracket, though my case does have a sde fan and a front fan blowing directly onto it.

Edit: Actually after running the Sleeping Dogs bench repeatedly the VRMs are at 114. Guess ill mount a fan or reduce the voltage a touch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom