• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 5600 and 5600 XT speculation

Soldato
https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 5600 XT Challenger D 6G OC/#Specification

18WGP (36CU)
Boost Clock: Up to 1620 MHz / 12.0 Gbps
Game Clock: 1460 MHz / 12.0 Gbps
Base Clock: 1235 MHz / 12.0 Gbps
1 x 8-pin Connectors
3 x DisplayPort / 1 x HDMI
240.6 x 126.5 x 53.0 mm
Stream Processors - 2304
Recommended PSU - 550W

If this goes for $299 it will completely decimate the 2060.

(The above stolen directly from a post Poneros put up.)

-------

I am surprised by the 2304 core count, and the 12GBPS memory usage. I wonder if that was a mistake on the core count and they were cut/pasting.

Soldato
OP
Assuming the specs are legit, then overclocking the memory to 14gbs I would imagine would be easy. The core... who knows.

The weird thing is, overclocking Navi based stuff doesn't really seem to do much from what I have seen.

Given that the 5700 was released at 349 and can be easily purchased for 299... I really think that it will need to be around 250. But then, AMD (RTG) seems think highly of themselves lately without actually backing it up in perf/value.

Soldato
OP
Was about to post that link about prices. Crazy. Just crazy. You can get some 5700 cards for $299 with an AIB cooler. Again AMD overpricing compared to their OWN cards. They can want to be premium but they are just driving people to the competition in the lower segment now. Crazy.

The 5500 was overpriced, the 5600 is going to be overpriced it seems. Just kinda stunned really unless this is some bizarre financial numbers game they are playing.

I just don't get AMD lately. Only the 5700 pricing made sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am gonna be completely honest. Unless they reduce the 5500xt 8gb price...I just can't see them having it for sale at 250 USD.. maybe GBP. 5700 MSRP is 350 (but they can be bought for 299). So I am going to guess at 279 USD. Maybe they will be 250 GBP.

Soldato
OP
They aren't making the best they can make. Let's stop pretending they are super elaborate cards. They only thing that genuinely raises price is the adventure into RT. The cards should be half the cost, they have managed to market their way to premium status whilst resting on laurels (IMO), much like Intel.

Soldato
OP
Looks like an EVGA move though, not Nvidia.

And I agree. Prices "should" be as you suggest IMO.

I am so close to just saying screw it, buying a 1650 super now, with the intention of giving it as a hand me down to my daughter when AMD RT cards get released so I get a sizeable upgrade.

Soldato
OP
It's an Nvidia move, already confirmed by other AIB's and their pricing dropping.

Huh. Didn't know that. The first day I saw it was about EVGA doing it themselves. Good to know, thanks for that. (Edit: seems.like information is still inconsistent with the competing cheaper 2060. Oc3d just said other information was wrong... Will wait to see how this pans out).

Still think price/perf has a long way till it is back with value for the consumer, but at least your suggested prices are in line and competitive in the current climate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol. Nice. Gonna be honest though.. still too closely priced to the 5700 real world pricing (will reduce in time hopefully so it actually becomes good value). 5700 still seems like the go-to card right now.

Very curious if initial cards will be able to be flashed to 5700s

Soldato
OP
Most likely.

I do speculate that the cards memory was always 14gbps though, and they just down clocked it. This is far to close to release to be otherwise tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, if reading all the info about the vbios updates correctly, the ten percent speed bump will only be applied to the better AIB models. Which nearly always means... Higher price.

So.... Is anyone going to buy a 5600 at the same cost OR MORE than a newly discounted 2060?

Soldato
OP
I dunno, a 5600 at £200 would be a fair purchase for many a gamer.

200 ? It would be... but the 5500 GB are nearly hitting that, and I'm sure some of the AIB models are. The 8GB is terrible value, the 4GB you have to be careful on a PCI-E 3 board to not go over the 4GB or it will kill performance having to do memory swaps over the pci-e 3 x8 Lanes (instead of 16), and the 5600 is within spitting distance of the actual pricing of the 5700. The 5700 is already competing with the 2060. The 2060 KO version is FASTER than the normal version even though the specs are the same.... yet cheaper. So... the 5600 XT is gonna have a real hard time if people don't have their rose tinted glasses on.

The 5700 and 5700 XT are the best cards to go for in their range. No question. The others... nah.

I get the feeling AMD just isn't going to see sense though. Just seems like they are living in cookoo land with their card prices.

Note: The 2060KO is based on a different chip (the 2070 super I think.. I will have to look it up again). The 5600 XT is based on the 5700, but with a memory limitation.

Here's the laughable part.. the 1070 is around the same perf as the 2060.... for the same price... 3 or 4 years later. You can't candy coat it at all... we are being ripped off.

Soldato
OP
I had already said:

The 1070 comment, wasn't directed at you, I was speaking to everyone. I want progress for my money damnit! Lol. It is my own laughable whine fest of feeling cheated since I sold my 1070.. and still the same money gives me..... Exactly the same. I feel cheated. I don't want to give them money for making zero perf progress.

I will cave soon to something... Can't stand reducing my settings any more lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pretty surprised at the reviews, and showing the 5600XT doing better than I expected with the new bios. Now... I wonder if hitting it with igorslab power mod will yeild results as currently overclocking is only getting 2 to 3% benefit to the card.

I'm still concerned that it is priced extremely close to the 5700 in real world figures.

Interesting card though I will say. I really thought it was going to perform worse.

Back
Top Bottom