• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 390

Associate
I brought a Radeon R9 390 back in October 2015, unfortunately it has never been normal, from strange ticking sounds that would stop to randomly turning itself off. However, now it has become so bad that we can't even run the PC that it is in without it causing issues and crashing the computer.

Have tried it in another PC and the issue remains. Is there a way to have the card fixed or repaired? I am not really sure what to do with it now.... I think AMD's warranty is only for three years so I think it is out of that as well but it's never been normal so I feel like it was a complete waste of money.

Would definitely not recommend AMD graphics cards after this one.

Caporegime
Basing your experience on such a small sample size (one poorly performing card) doesn't make sense. :)

Anyway, have you checked the idle and load temps of the card? You can use something like MSI Afterburner or AMD's own software. What board vendor is it, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Asus?

It may well be past help but if the temperature is too high, then cleaning or reapplying thermal paste may do the trick. :)

Associate
OP
Every AMD card I have had has failed for one reason or another. Add that to hundreds of other complaints about the same graphics card and you realise that it is probably AMD that are the fault.

Idle temp is around 40, Load temps are around 70. One of the cores runs at 0.7mhrz though so not sure if that causes issues or not, has always run a lot lower than the other. MSI afterburner + R9 390 = Crashing pc so I don't use that anymore and it's made by MSI.

Associate
why did you not just RMA the card within the 1st 6 months or sooner?
I've had Amd cards die, I've had Nvidia cards die. neither was my fault.

Associate
OP
I couldn't, purely because the PC it was for needed an actual graphics card for the work that is done on it. The on board graphics didn't cut it and I couldn't go without doing the work that was needed. So unless I was able to get a card in it's place before sending it back, I couldn't send it back. I have been given an old 660ti now so can actually do something about it.

Just not sure what I can do.

Caporegime
That's unlucky. :/

Those temps seem fine. I suppose while you've got the other card installed you could take the 390 apart and give it a clean/check/maybe apply some new paste - though as said, the operating temperature looks to be more than acceptable.

Edit: 'one of the cores?' Surely it has just the one? Anyway, perhaps post a pic of it so we can see core and memory frequency. That could be the problem.

Associate
OP
Yes both PCs have good PSUs.

Can't give you any pictures without putting it back into one of the PCs and making them crash more.

Edit: Hah! I was stupid... the core for the R9 was just running at 0.7mhrz. Which I would assume it is not supposed to run at when in games, which could be why it is causing screen tearing and black screening.

One of the fans on it is definitely unhappy though, has been since we got it. Seems to wobble and unbalance before it gets to 100% fan speed then eventually straightens itself out.

I will try and put it back in the PC later and see what I can get for you guys as evidence for the issues.

Back
Top Bottom