• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***** AMD RADEON VEGA 56 ONLY £349.99 WITH THREE FREE GAMES!! *****

Soldato
I installed my VEGA 56 yesterday and comparing this to the RX 580 I once owned, this is an absolute beast at 1440p.

Radeon Chill works wonders... I sometimes need to check if the fans are actually working?

Worth every penny... @Gibbo thanks for such an outstanding deal!

The fans spend a surprising amount of time turned off. Even using the card to process video or play less graphically intensive games will leave it passively cooled and the fans not running. The card can generate an amazing amount of heat at full tilt though. That absurdly large heatsink (compared to the size of the card) is actually needed to keep the card performing like it does. It's like the sensible version of the V64, especially at the price difference.

Soldato
The fans spend a surprising amount of time turned off. Even using the card to process video or play less graphically intensive games will leave it passively cooled and the fans not running. The card can generate an amazing amount of heat at full tilt though. That absurdly large heatsink (compared to the size of the card) is actually needed to keep the card performing like it does. It's like the sensible version of the V64, especially at the price difference.

It's funny you mention passively cooled, I've got 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 high speed fans in the front of my case should the card call upon them. Great card for the price, almost pulled the trigger on a 1080!

Soldato
You'll get more from bumping the HMB2 memory and just leaving the gpu core alone. I found that anyway.

IIRC, the memory on the V56 is known for not overclocking as well as on the V64. I've only managed to get mine to 950@1000mv, which is still significantly more than stock, but well under what seems to be easy for the V64s.

Soldato
It's funny you mention passively cooled, I've got 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 high speed fans in the front of my case should the card call upon them. Great card for the price, almost pulled the trigger on a 1080!

I'm finding the card does a much better job of getting hot air out of the GPU, and into the case, where the case fans can do a really good job of getting rid of it. It's probably down to the large part of the heatsink that overhangs the end of the card. It's basically just a grill to radiate the heat with a fan under it, so hot air goes straight to the top where the top fan can dump it.

My old MSI R290 used to chuck a lot of heat against the side panel and really heat up the case, but the V56 seems to put the heat where the case fans can deal with it much more efficiently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm finding the card does a much better job of getting hot air out of the GPU, and into the case, where the case fans can do a really good job of getting rid of it. It's probably down to the large part of the heatsink that overhangs the end of the card. It's basically just a grill to radiate the heat, and with a fan under it, so hot air goes straight to the top where then top fan can dump it.

My old MSI R290 use to chuck a lot of heat against the side panel and really heat up the case, but the V56 seems to put the heat where the case fans can deal with it much more efficiently.

The card does have a great design, I'm using the Corsair 500D and there's a lot of places where the air can get in and out especially the glass doors... it's so open in all positions of the case and I can feel nothing but cool air.

Soldato
Well it looks like i wont be able to sell my copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey..

'Redeem on Uplay with your Ubisoft account'.

The other 2 games have Steam codes but i dont think anyone is gona be interested in those lol

Still a good price on the card @£350 though, this seems to have been a way better option than waiting for a 590.

I got at least a 50% jump in perf from my RX480, very happy with this Vega 56 so far :)

Associate
Just 2 minutes of basic tweaking in Wattman, Undervolting has got my Core to 1578mhz and my memory to 950mhz and the temps down, Well impressed with this card for £350 :)

Permabanned
IIRC, the memory on the V56 is known for not overclocking as well as on the V64. I've only managed to get mine to 950@1000mv, which is still significantly more than stock, but well under what seems to be easy for the V64s.

What memory has the V56 got?
My 64's memory is Samsung (Are they all the same?)

Vegas love the undervolt!

I wish I'd done some voltage testing with the 3x8 pin Nitro Limited Edition I had before selling it on, Lowering the voltage has made a lot of difference to noise, heat and stability when overclocked with my current card.

Soldato

My Red Dragon V56 has Samsung, i got it at 950/1000mv.. going to 955 crashes the PC and reboots itself.

My best core overclock so far is 1717@1150mv.

What are the max safe volts on core and mem? And do i need to keep my eye on the 'hotspot' temps in GPU-Z? Most i have seen is 85-86c but usually average lower than that.

Permabanned
My Red Dragon V56 has Samsung, i got it at 950/1000mv.. going to 955 crashes the PC and reboots itself.

My best core overclock so far is 1717@1150mv.

What are the max safe volts on core and mem? And do i need to keep my eye on the 'hotspot' temps in GPU-Z? Most i have seen is 85-86c but usually average lower than that.

To be honest I'm not the best one to ask, I'm not that clued up on overclocking, What do you mean by maximum safe volts? You should take your time over finding the volt and clock levels for your card, As far as I know you haven't got to worry about how far you underclock the voltage & you certainly shouldn't need to overclock it, I've simply been trying it & seeing if it's stable, But as I said don't take what I'm saying as gospel, My core voltage is dropped from the stock setting of 1200mv down to 1120mv with the core overclocked to 1692mhz. My HBM has stock voltage of 1100mv that's now dropped to 1035mv with the HBM overclocked to 1080mhz. Some of the chaps posting on this forum seem to be getting much better results than I can so it seems that mine's only an average clocker. That said I don't know if they play games much or whether there setting are 100% stable for 24/7 use like mine.

Soldato
To be honest I'm not the best one to ask, I'm not that clued up on overclocking, What do you mean by maximum safe volts? You should take your time over finding the volt and clock levels for your card, As far as I know you haven't got to worry about how far you underclock the voltage & you certainly shouldn't need to overclock it, I've simply been trying it & seeing if it's stable, But as I said don't take what I'm saying as gospel, My core voltage is dropped from the stock setting of 1200mv down to 1120mv with the core overclocked to 1692mhz. My HBM has stock voltage of 1100mv that's now dropped to 1035mv with the HBM overclocked to 1080mhz. Some of the chaps posting on this forum seem to be getting much better results than I can so it seems that mine's only an average clocker. That said I don't know if they play games much or whether there setting are 100% stable for 24/7 use like mine.

I was asking about the voltage just for benchmarking in the bench threads, i have a decently stable 1717Mhz overclock with 1150mv for benching.

Then i have a gaming profile saved..

P6.. 1537@1025mv
P7.. 1677@1075mv
HBM 925@1000mv

Temps are good with max hotspot around 66c.. other GPU/HBM temps are lower than that.

Just looking to do some tweaking now :)

Soldato

Samsung on my Red Dragon V56, but it may be different with other manufacturers. The problem is the V56 BIOS limits the HBM voltage, so you can't get up past 950 without flashing a V64 BIOS (when you should easily be able to get to 1100 on the HBM). It's worth noting that the Powercolor V56 is 1x6pin + 1x8pin PCIE power, so you're never going to have all the power available in your overclocking endeavours as a V64 with 2x8pin.

I wish I'd done some voltage testing with the 3x8 pin Nitro Limited Edition I had before selling it on, Lowering the voltage has made a lot of difference to noise, heat and stability when overclocked with my current card.

Yeah, lowering the voltage to get more performance is not normal, but it works for Vega.

Permabanned
I was asking about the voltage just for benchmarking in the bench threads, i have a decently stable 1717Mhz overclock with 1150mv for benching.

Then i have a gaming profile saved..

P6.. 1537@1025mv
P7.. 1677@1075mv
HBM 925@1000mv

Temps are good with max hotspot around 66c.. other GPU/HBM temps are lower than that.

Just looking to do some tweaking now :)

I've been tweaking mine for weeks and still haven't finished, I've been making changes and then spending a few days with those settings checking for stability with games. I might try knocking the core voltage down a bit more some time.

Samsung on my Red Dragon V56, but it may be different with other manufacturers. The problem is the V56 BIOS limits the HBM voltage, so you can't get up past 950 without flashing a V64 BIOS (when you should easily be able to get to 1100 on the HBM). It's worth noting that the Powercolor V56 is 1x6pin + 1x8pin PCIE power, so you're never going to have all the power available in your overclocking endeavours as a V64 with 2x8pin.

I've been able to do clean runs of Firestrike at up to 1752 on the core but the score deteriorates when I take it above 1692, I've also been able to get 1110 on the HBM with 1692 on the core, There's bound to be more I can get from it though I could keep on testing to try and get a bit more but I'm okay with it as it is for now, I'm happy with how it runs my games, especially for the price I got it at.

Soldato
How can a £360 card be doing 1080 speeds unless you're overclocking the **** out of it lol?

Because by undervolting, you're effectively making the boost speed into the base speed. If it stays at 1600mhz all the time in games, that's a significant increase on the specced base performance of 1177mhz.

Back
Top Bottom