• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RDNA3 unveiling event

Soldato
OP
Looks like the uarch has been designed to hit 3GHZ:

The guys from PCWorld,Tom's Hardware and Level1Techs think AMD has clocked the reference cards for optimal performance/watt but the AIB cards might see much higher clockspeeds,but the power limits will be much higher.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
2 x 8pin connectors, clearly as much performance as possible, but limited by the available power. Even the cooler looks reasonable.
But as soon some AIB uses a 3 x 8pin, some bigger cooler, I would expect the performance gap to be noticeably bigger than we normally see from reference to mid/high AIB. Performance won't increase proportionally to power used, as never does, but I don't expect to see some wimpy 2 to 5%. If that happens, will be very disappointing.

It will be interesting to see if indeed the reference design is power limited.

Soldato
OP
So with AMD saying that the 7900XTX is a 4080 competitor, does that therefore mean the lower stack isn't going to be as cheap as people hoped it would be? Ironically, the RDNA3 rumours thread has become overrun with nVidia fans arguing with themselves :D
Isn't it obvious when Nvidia tried to price the RTX4060 12GB as a £900 RTX4080 12GB and the RTX4070 16GB as the nearly £1300 RTX4080 16GB??

Reading some comments on here apparently JHH stated they didn't want to discount Ampere cards. So basically this Turing MK2,but even worse!

Soldato
OP
Block diagram leaked:

Soldato
OP
Fairly unpleasant logic in releasing the high end only then.

Gotta shift the obsolete cards by not releasing their replacements.

What's the odds they have so much stock that this gen will JUST be high end cards.

At least AMD launched the RX7900XTX at $100 below the price of the RX6950XT and has dropped pricing a decent amount on the RDNA2.0 dGPUs.

Nvidia,OTH,has barely reduced prices,and the RTX4060 was to become a £900 RTX4080 12GB and the RTX4070 is a £1300 RTX4080 16GB. Their new dGPUs are doing nothing to reduce the Ampere dGPU prices. They are not even responding to the AMD price cuts!

Soldato
OP
Interesting thoughts about the new CU:

Fgr7SsfXkAIxRSZ

If you look at the Navi 21 and Navi 31 specifications,there is only a 20% increase in shaders and RT cores. However,each CU seems to use less shared resources and more local data storage. Looks like there is a decent jump in performance per shader or RT core and maybe it can handle larger dataflows better?

I do wonder whether,like with Zen1 IF power is maybe a problem:

So if the core were scaled higher,maybe having to increase the IF frequency would lead to power problems too. So AMD clocked the core lower,so the IF will be in the optimal efficiency range.

It will be interesting to see the aftermarket cards,and how much power they can consume.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I fail to see how getting gouged by all vendors is good for consumers.

I'd say things are the worst they've ever been for people, even with Intel having "viable" products now.

This far worse than for CPUs - AMD have no doubt taken the mickey with the prices of some of their CPUs(despite people defending it for some weird reason),but you had price cuts on older CPUs.

With dGPUs,its much worse. AMD at least price reduced its previous generations(and I would say closer to what they should have been),ie,RX6900XT dGPUs for under £700,£250ish RX6600,£300ish RX6700,etc.

What has Nvidia done? Said the era of "cheap" dGPUs is over,and hinted they want to clear out Ampere stock at the stupid pricing of the last year or so. The RTX3060 still costs as much as RX6700XT,RTX3080 dGPUs cost as much as RX6900XT,etc. The RX6700XT is faster than an RTX3060 in rasterised performance,and trades blows with it in RT performance.

Then they are trying to sell the RTX3060 successor as a RTX4070TI/RTX4080 12GB,the RTX3070/RTX3070TI successor as a £1300 dGPU.

AMD in comparison is selling an overpriced RX7900 series(since I think £1000 dGPUs are generally OTT),but it's still $100 under the launch price of the RX6950XT and looks faster. What is Nvidia doing with the rest of the RTX4000 series range? They are doing a Turing. How much is this RTX4070TI going to cost? It could be half the speed of an RTX4090 at qHD and still not even beat an RTX3070/RTX3070TI,but probably cost as much or even more. But it will no doubt cost much less to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Absolutely right. Nvidia are trying to tell us expensive dGPUs are here to stay and it isn't their fault. Yet AMD show that a competitive dGPU can be made for much less than Nvidia are trying to convince us is the new norm.

If the 7800XT matches the 4080 16GB in raster for ~$500 less, then no amount of "but ray tracing" will make it worth that premium. In essence both GPUs will require upscaling to become playable with RT. So that ~$500 extra doesn't really get you anything tangible.

At 4K I can already get 40+ FPS in Nvidia sponsored RT games on my 3080 FE. And yet people still use CP2077 as some sort of RT Nirvana, despite it being a 2 year old game most people will have stopped playing long ago.

If people want better priced AMD dGPUs,than they need Nvidia to respond and drop their prices. Would I prefer the RX7950XT to be £799 and the RX7900XT be £599? Sure! But how is that going to happen,when AMD is beating Nvidia in price/performance already without even trying? Nvidia needs to drop prices.

But if they are trying to sell an RTX3050 for RX6600/RX6700 level money,then they are not even responding to RDNA2 price drops,despite significantly better AMD dGPUs available for the same price. The RX6600 is around 30% faster than an RTX3050 in rasterised games,and they trade blows in playable RT games too.

Also,wait for Atomic Heart to be the next "reason" why Nvidia cards are worth the premium.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's my point exactly. Nvidia are telling us the $1200 4080 16GB is the new norm. AMD called their bluff with the $1000 7900XTX that is a lot faster in raster but slower in RT. I am not saying the 7900XTX price is good, just not anywhere near as bad as the 4080 16GB. I genuinely cannot remember anyone (AMD or NVidia fans) being impressed by the 4080 12GB or even 16GB price/performance.

The ball is in Nvidia's court and the fact there are no price cut announcements to knock the wind out of AMDs sails, is quite telling. Nvidia never miss a trick when it comes to their marketing making AMD look like amatuers. Instead AMD have been getting positive marketing and feedback from most tech sites for the fact their top tier dGPU is actually quite competitive in raster, yet $600 cheaper.

Nvidia have never let that **** happen before and it is totally uncharacteristic for them to let AMD have this much positive press.

They have missed massively on revenues and they lost over 20 percentages points in margins,which are now quite close to AMD:

It's quite clear,they are selling their dGPUs for less money to Dell,etc because I have seen some decent prebuilt deals. They are just taking the mickey with the PC enthusiast market,by using us to prop up their margins.

The thing is even if they unlaunch the RTX4080 16GB at £1300 and put it down to "only" £900,it looks very reactionary.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking at reviews of 4080 , just for example cyberpunk maxed 4k RT no upscaling

4080 31 FPS

Looking at AMD slide 7900xtx gets 21 FPS
I believe the AMD slides are accurate because AMD have 6950xt at 13fps and third party reviews confirm this

Gonna have to use upscaling regardless, getting 4080 just for slight RT advantage isn't worth it , will be interesting to see raster difference

Cinematic quality with both! :cry:

Soldato
OP
Its not slight, its a pretty large advantage if your numbers are accurate. But they're still pretty low :p
Its lovely how percentages work, one thing can be much faster than another thing but if the thing were comparing it to was super slow then they're both super slow - a 50cc bike is much better than a 25cc bike, but they're still both very slow - Cinematic and Cat put it

Anyway, I don't know if I trust AMD's numbers, some of their stuff looks oddly low. For example in data they released yesterday they said the 6950xt gets 12fps at 4k max settings with RT on in Dying Light 2, but I specifically looked out for that game today in the 4080 reviews and no reviewer was showing the 6950xt running that slow with those settings

AMD either is going to jebait Nvidia,or RDNA2 jebaited RDNA3? :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What the worse thing about this, is that last generation was still a lot for a high end AMD dGPU,ie,£1000. They also seem to be totally ignoring the price drops on the AMD RDNA2 dGPUs too.

But as usual Nvidia again made AMD showing off a £1000 dGPU look reasonable. Just like the price hike for the RX690....I meant RX5700XT still made it reasonably priced compared to the RTX2070!

This means,AMD can also get away with pushing up its pricing a bit for their other dGPUs down the range! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I started a review thread:

I didn't realise this was launching today!

Soldato
OP
I just had a quick look at the reviews. So the RTX7900XT is bit faster overall in rasterisation(but slower than the AMD slides implied) than an RTX4080,but the latter is about 15% to 20% faster in RT according to TPU. It seems the RT uplift is actually much larger than I expected since it seems to be slightly better than an RTX3090TI according to TPU:

It seem's the uplift in RT is greater than the uplift in rasterised performance!Still overpriced like the rest of them! :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom