• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD readies three new GPUs: Greenland, Baffin and Ellesmere

Soldato
OP
Big problem is they are reliant on Global Foundries, using a node that Samsung gave them. Samsung have no incentive to do the work for high performance variants or improve yields for big chips so that leaves AMD waiting for a foundry who has been dead last in every race since they were spun off.

Associate
Big problem is they are reliant on Global Foundries, using a node that Samsung gave them. Samsung have no incentive to do the work for high performance variants or improve yields for big chips so that leaves AMD waiting for a foundry who has been dead last in every race since they were spun off.

Well it does seem to me that the next gen GPU releases will be tied more likely to the HBM2 ramp up than the 14/16nm node manufacturing. The latter is already started, and they will ramp up them until next year while the former is just taking shape.

Soldato
The article says Greenland will have significantly more SP's than Fiji. I'm still wondering what the large number of SP's are doing for Fiji. They really need to rework the performance of each SP rather than keep adding more.

Caporegime
The article says Greenland will have significantly more SP's than Fiji. I'm still wondering what the large number of SP's are doing for Fiji. They really need to rework the performance of each SP rather than keep adding more.

Because it will be on a die shrink, that is why it will have more cores and more power and they will also be working on efficiency as well. They are sticking with GCN, so they should be a little wiser by now and should be able to release a beast at the top end and with well over 8K cores.

Soldato
But a year is a short turnaround for £1100 of GPU =(
On one hand, I hope they're awesome cards 'cause AMD needs a win and I always want more power.. on the other, I hope they're **** so I can keep my money and Furys :p

You should know by now that gpu's are/were released every 6-9 months by both companies. It was only because of fiji/HBM that AMD delayed for 2 years. Now they have the tech working we will see more regular refreshes.

In a year even the TitanX will be 2nd tier so it's a risk you take buying top end cards.
Your 2xFuryX should handle 4K fine so why upgrade next year anyway?

Caporegime
It's more the rendering side of things that AMD need to improve on, Fiji has the same amount of ROP's (64) as Hawaii which was already very dated, a 96-128 ROP Fury would have been a monster but it probably wasn't possible for AMD to implement it. AMD's geometry/tessellation engines are quite poor as well.

Caporegime
It's more the rendering side of things that AMD need to improve on, Fiji has the same amount of ROP's (64) as Hawaii which was already very dated, a 96-128 ROP Fury would have been a monster but it probably wasn't possible for AMD to implement it. AMD's geometry/tessellation engines are quite poor as well.

They did improve on the tessellation side of things with Fiji but still a long way behind Nvidia. Hopefully by now they have learned their lesson and will get this up to speed with the competition.

Soldato
You should know by now that gpu's are/were released every 6-9 months by both companies. It was only because of fiji/HBM that AMD delayed for 2 years. Now they have the tech working we will see more regular refreshes.
True, but this looks to be a *significant* jump, opposed to the regular rebadging we've been getting, due to the smaller process.

In a year even the TitanX will be 2nd tier so it's a risk you take buying top end cards.
Your 2xFuryX should handle 4K fine so why upgrade next year anyway?

Because MOAR POWARRRRR!

Caporegime
EDIT:turns out it wasn't an AMD statement.
Typical AMD, talk up the next bug thing when your current line still hasn't fully been released and there are still major stock issues and pump gate still not resolved.

And really this is nothing new, they made these statements months back. Of course AMD have new GPUs lineup scheduled, why on earth wouldn't they. Do you think they would just give up and spend their last money on an epic week in Vegas?

Anyway, I'm looking for to see what AMD do here. They need a major change to the architecture to increase efficiency and resolve the performance issues. A move to have 6 or 8 shader units will help tremendously.

Last edited:
Soldato
Typical AMD, talk up the next bug thing when your current line still hasn't fully been released and there are still major stock issues and pump gate still not resolved.

And really this is nothing new, they made these statements months back. Of course AMD have new GPUs lineup scheduled, why on earth wouldn't they. Do you think they would just give up and spend their last money on an epic week in Vegas?

Anyway, I'm looking for to see what AMD do here. They need a major change to the architecture to increase efficiency and resolve the performance issues. A move to have 6 or 8 shader units will help tremendously.

The article refers to a 'source' that knows of AMD plans so it's not actually AMD who is talking up their upcoming products. Once they officially make a statement then you can criticize them but not just yet.

Hopefully AMD will have realised with the Fiji that throwing in more SP's or bandwidth doesn't necessarily make everything faster. More tesselation and shader performance should speed things up, not to mention clockspeeds.

Back
Top Bottom