• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 3600 to 5600 (or higher)?

Associate
I am a little out of the loop nowadays so I would value opinions on the below:

Dau has an ITX PC I built about 4 years ago, she doesn't really game, other than Sims and some indie games (has an Xbox), but uses it for Uni work now and similar. Just essays, surfing with 50 Chrome tabs.... etc.
I obviously want it to remain responsive and snappy for her as software develops and time passes.

Current spec

AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU.
32GB DDR4
GTX1660Ti.
Asus ROG AM4 Motherboard (I cant remember the exact model, but was top tier at the time).
Gen 3 1tb NVME

I am thinking it may be worth switching the processor for something like a Ryzen 5600 (or 5700) to prolong the life of the system and with a Bios update I know the MB supports this.

I don't think it is worth upgrading the GPU at this time as she really doesn't use it.

Is this sensible? would it make a difference or just an itch as I can do it? I personally switched to Apple so haven't really kept up with things. I don't think it is worth upgrading the whole system given her use.

Knowledgable thoughts would be appreciated, i am swaying between spending for the upgrade, or buying her something else.

Don
5700X would be the obvious choice, it's an 8 core CPU (compared to your current 3600) that can be had for around £160 these days

If she was into gaming, then a 5800X3D and a new graphics card would be the order of the day (and would make the PC very competitive compared to even the latest CPUs), but unnecessary in this instance.

Associate
The system seems capable for what she does but a faster processor like the 5700x would be a nice boost to overall system performance. What RAM does she have?

Soldato
A 5900X would offer more than twice the performance of the 3600. One of those would make a lot sense at the right price.

Soldato
If performance isn't an issue now, why not just wait another 4 years and and grab a 5800X. I'm sure they'll be cheap enough by then as most will be after X3D chips.

Soldato
I think if performance isn't an issue at the moment then little point in upgrading, by the time performance is an issue you could upgrade the CPU at a fraction of the cost or move on to the latest budget option which will probably be immensely faster.

Permabanned
5700X would be the obvious choice, it's an 8 core CPU (compared to your current 3600) that can be had for around £160 these days

If she was into gaming, then a 5800X3D and a new graphics card would be the order of the day (and would make the PC very competitive compared to even the latest CPUs), but unnecessary in this instance.
I chose a 5700x over a 5800x3d for the lower power consumption and temps - as I like a silent cost's nothing to run build that I can rinse for hours every evening without costing me a fortune in electric, and I've yet to find any game at either native 1440p max settings on my monitor or at 4k dlss/fg/reflex via the tv, that the cpu becomes a bottleneck on.

So for the price you can't loose, I'll chuck the 5700x into my ryzentosh hackintosh to replace the 3600 non x one day when X3D's cost nothing 2nd hand, but I can't see that being any time soon.

Highly recommend a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE as a heatsink/fan setup if you're needing a new one, will smash a Noctua NH-D15/BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and is less than half the price and can be made to run silent very easily and I never see temps go above 65C for my 5700x... But it does live in a front meshed case with airflow everywhere and 2 140mm and a 120mm, both however are only running at 550rpm with PWM disabled, as there's no need to ramp them up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom