• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Soldato
Videocardz said:
The CPU scored 1639 points and 10498 points in Geekbench 5.4.4 in single-core and multi-core CPU benchmark respectively. That’s actually a lower single-core result than the average R7 5800X data listed in the Geekbench database (1671/10339 points). Furthermore, AMD’s CPU scores 617 and, 6506 points in built-in CPU-Z benchmark, which is lower than i9-12900K reference data.

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-retail-processor-has-been-tested-ahead-of-launch

Disappointing early results, though need to wait for the official reviews to make any conclusions really. Also very interested in seeing gaming results.

Soldato
OP
I also think Intel are going to have something special with their next cpu’s.

I’ll admit I’ve got a bias towards intel as they were my go to. The last amd I had was a phenom II 955 BE lol.

But ultimately I’ll always buy the best at the time, regardless of who makes it.

Best in terms of overall performance, or best in terms of stability/reliability? :p

Both Raptor Lake and Zen4 could have crippling stability issues, I hope not though!

Soldato
OP
Performance ideally lol.

I think the next batch of CPU’s are going to be amazing. With everything changing to PCIe 5.0, DDR 5 new atx 3.0 power supplies etc new api that take advantage of faster NVMe drives we are going to be in for a treat

That's all been available in Alderlake since October last year. That said, will be fun to drop in a 13900k, since these have socket compatibility with Z690 boards.

Still waiting on the Gen5 SSD's/GPU's though, hopefully not too much longer to wait. That said, was purchased for it's performance, not features down the line ;)

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah I know, but once zen 4 and raptor lake arrive things will hopefully be more established.

There'll be a bigger selection of ram by that time too.

I know this is all off-topic (sorry) but what cpu did you come from before your 12900k? Did you see much difference in performance?

DDR5 is pretty mature already, plenty of good 6400Mhz+ kits available. If on QVL list for given z690 motherboard, no issues, Intel did very well here.

I decided to build a separate PC for VR/gaming with my nieces (in an empty room, so nothing to break!), so my 11900k fulfills that role currently, and my 12900k is in my 'main' rig. Saw a good boost in minimum FPS in several games, though would not have upgraded were it not for the need of another rig, especially since I only game at 4K (or 2880×1600 in VR on my Index)

Soldato
OP
Ive heard they are running 4800c40 memory on the 12900k... That is just silly

This is a common feature amongst pro AMD fans. @LtMatt can testify to 12900k's being benched with terrible near JEDEC RAM speeds in benchmarks where it's competing against Ryzen 3000 series with much more high end DDR4 (typically 3600Mhz C14 or faster etc, not cheap).

Just something to expect and remember to have to filter through. There will be reviews where they'll use faster RAM on 12900K/KS, as not many spending £600 on a CPU use slower than 6000Mhz+ kits.

Soldato
OP
Great. Want to see 1440P, although at that resolution there will likely be barely any difference.

Still boggles the mind to see there are some interested in 1440P, why do people enjoy playing at less than console resolution (4k) in 2022?!

720P benchmarks are still important, due to it's impact on minimum FPS at 4k, plus an indicator of how CPU's will handle future generations of GPU. Not everyone upgrades every year these days.

Soldato
OP
Some people prefer gaming at high framerates and the hardware available today can't pump out high framerates at 4k in every game. That's why DLSS is even a thing, 4k is so demanding, especially with raytracing.

I can't even get a solid 60fps at 4k in Tina's Wonderlands (in certain areas) and that's with a 5950x and 3090.

So I do use a 75% resolution scale in game which is technically giving me a 1440p render resolution and I get over 100fps.

The experience is more enjoyable than 50fps at 4k for me personally. I'm hoping the next gen cards will make gaming at 4k 120 achievable in most games.

Yet to find any game I can't get 'high' FPS on at 4k. Of course, can't run all AAA games 4k all settings max, though 4k medium looks so much better than lower resolutions such as 1440P on max, IMO at leasy. Literally can't stand jagged edges and low resolution graphics.

I assume your joking ? As 1440p is where you can get decent monitors at decent refresh for less than 1k

4K TV's (LG OLED's) are typically much better than monitors at £1k or under, though these do require big desks, or wall mounting.

4K OLED have been available brand new at £1k or less, also easy to get second hand ones for far less than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Like yourself I can't stand jaggies, and I'd always prefer to game at 4K. But certain games like Control, Borderlands, and Even Forza Horizon 5 I'm nowhere near getting 120fps at 4k.

I think some games can still look ok rendered at a lower resolution. Borderlands is a good example, I set the resolution scale (at 4k) to 75% and it isn't jarring.

Try lowering 'some' settings at 4k, can get huge FPS increases and still keep the crisp sharpness of 4K

Soldato
OP
Ok but for instance in my situation. I have ps5 and series X in my living room for comfortable gaming on a 65 inch Sony and then pc in my office on 32 inch high FPS monitor (1440p), until I can move to a very decent high FPS monitor (doubles for work 9-5) I am not going near 4k. OLED won't do here due to image retention.

I've worked and gamed on a LG CX48 since June 2020. That's several thousand hours for work, games and some media mixed in. 0 image retention, as have thousands of other people. LG have conquered image retention.

Soldato
OP
5800X3D looks excellent for those that 8 cores are enough for. Sadly, many want/need more cores in 2022. AMD would have been onto a huge winner if they released 5900x/5950x with the 3D cache technology, as this would save people having to replace motherboard & RAM, since Zen4 offers no DDR4 controller.

Looking forward to reviewers that test 12900KS, along with 6400Mhz+ DDR5. Makes sense to test both platforms at their best available performance, regardless of price. Using DDR4 on a 12900k when faster DDR5 is available is not that useful to determine overall performance.

Soldato
OP
DDR5 is price prohibitive for most people - 2x16 of 3600 cl16 ddr4 is under £99 whereas 2x16 of 6400 ddr4 is nearly £450!!

12700f/k with DDR4 is much better value than both, agreed. Also much greater performance in almost all other software compared to the 5800X3D.

Still, it would be nice to see benchmarks using the best available components for each system IMO.

Soldato
OP
How many reviewers will test fastest DDR5 on ADL then test some mid range 3600c16 that is less than half price on AMD instead of 3800c14/4000c14.

So be fair, extreme DDR4 kits are hard to get. Check OCUK - plenty of 6400Mhz DDR5 in stock (C40 kits with Hynix, that do tighter timings), whereas not a single DDR4 kit with 3800C14/4000C14.

I'd like to see both the fastest commonly available DDR5 kit used on the 12900K/KS and the fastest DDR4 kit used on the 5800X3D though, hopefully someone actually reviews and tests it.

Soldato
OP
Tuned vs tuned will be interesting and maybe the 12900K and 12700K can eek out a few wins but the cost difference even for a 12700K rig will be high due to DDR5 cost.

£375 for the 12700KF saves about £50 vs the 5800X3D but motherboard cost differences wipe out that saving and the memory required to catch up costs an extea £200. If you want the productivity performance it can be worth it but for a gaming rig 1st productivity 2nd at best there is a case for the 5800X3D even for new builders.

For upgraders like me though there is no comparison because this is the cheapest way to this level of performance and considering the games it does well in so far it looks like it will be a good match for games I play (still more guess work there than I would like though).

Just use DDR4 on 12700KF and save ££, while having far greater overall performance.

Soldato
OP
Looking very good so far, close enough to the 12900KS in gaming to make no difference. Easy choice if you're on AM4 and don't do a lot of production work.

For gaming, hardly any difference. It gets slaughtered in everything else though, due to only having 8 cores.

I feel the 5900x and 5950X are the real stars of the show, that's at these prices. Such an amazing deal for AM4 owners to upgrade to.

Soldato
OP
Wow, that's damned impressive. I didn't realise the standard 5800X performed so well against the 12700K in that title (although I don't know what RAM that setup is using).

Most likely crippled with JEDEC DDR54 4800Mhz RAM (or DDR4) to make AMD look better, unless it's explicitly specified.

Back
Top Bottom