• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Soldato
Videocardz said:
The CPU scored 1639 points and 10498 points in Geekbench 5.4.4 in single-core and multi-core CPU benchmark respectively. That’s actually a lower single-core result than the average R7 5800X data listed in the Geekbench database (1671/10339 points). Furthermore, AMD’s CPU scores 617 and, 6506 points in built-in CPU-Z benchmark, which is lower than i9-12900K reference data.

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-retail-processor-has-been-tested-ahead-of-launch

Disappointing early results, though need to wait for the official reviews to make any conclusions really. Also very interested in seeing gaming results.

Soldato
Only if it regresses in gaming which its solely marketed at this time around, AMD even said its not aimed for productivity.
It has lower boost clocks so anything that doesn't hit the cache heavily will show a regression this is not unexpected..

Associate
Yeah it was never going to do well in these benchmarks. Its not what its aimed at. If it benches well in games surely that's all that matters apart from those that play cinebench. Glad a nabbed a 5900X though

Associate
I’m waiting to see benefits in gaming. If there are any I think I’ll pick one up provided I can sell my 5950x.

I personally don’t think it will beat the 12900k in gaming but time will tell.

I think intels ipc will beat any cache improvements AMD have brought with this cpu.

Associate
I’m waiting to see benefits in gaming. If there are any I think I’ll pick one up provided I can sell my 5950x.

I personally don’t think it will beat the 12900k in gaming but time will tell.

I think intels ipc will beat any cache improvements AMD have brought with this cpu.

That's what my money is on as well.

Associate
That's what my money is on as well.

I also think Intel are going to have something special with their next cpu’s.

I’ll admit I’ve got a bias towards intel as they were my go to. The last amd I had was a phenom II 955 BE lol.

But ultimately I’ll always buy the best at the time, regardless of who makes it.

Soldato
OP

I’ll admit I’ve got a bias towards intel as they were my go to. The last amd I had was a phenom II 955 BE lol.

But ultimately I’ll always buy the best at the time, regardless of who makes it.

Best in terms of overall performance, or best in terms of stability/reliability? :p

Both Raptor Lake and Zen4 could have crippling stability issues, I hope not though!

Associate
Best in terms of overall performance, or best in terms of stability? :p

Both Raptor Lake and Zen4 could have crippling stability issues, I hope not though

Performance ideally lol.

I think the next batch of CPU’s are going to be amazing. With everything changing to PCIe 5.0, DDR 5 new atx 3.0 power supplies etc new api that take advantage of faster NVMe drives we are going to be in for a treat

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Performance ideally lol.

I think the next batch of CPU’s are going to be amazing. With everything changing to PCIe 5.0, DDR 5 new atx 3.0 power supplies etc new api that take advantage of faster NVMe drives we are going to be in for a treat

That's all been available in Alderlake since October last year. That said, will be fun to drop in a 13900k, since these have socket compatibility with Z690 boards.

Still waiting on the Gen5 SSD's/GPU's though, hopefully not too much longer to wait. That said, was purchased for it's performance, not features down the line ;)

Associate
[/QUOTE]
That's all been available in Alderlake since October last year. That said, will be fun to drop in a 13900k, since these have socket compatibility with Z690 boards.

Still waiting on the Gen5 SSD's/GPU's though, hopefully not too much longer to wait. That said, was purchased for it's performance, not features down the line ;)

Oh yeah I know, but once zen 4 and raptor lake arrive things will hopefully be more established.

There'll be a bigger selection of ram by that time too.

I know this is all off-topic (sorry) but what cpu did you come from before your 12900k? Did you see much difference in performance?

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah I know, but once zen 4 and raptor lake arrive things will hopefully be more established.

There'll be a bigger selection of ram by that time too.

I know this is all off-topic (sorry) but what cpu did you come from before your 12900k? Did you see much difference in performance?

DDR5 is pretty mature already, plenty of good 6400Mhz+ kits available. If on QVL list for given z690 motherboard, no issues, Intel did very well here.

I decided to build a separate PC for VR/gaming with my nieces (in an empty room, so nothing to break!), so my 11900k fulfills that role currently, and my 12900k is in my 'main' rig. Saw a good boost in minimum FPS in several games, though would not have upgraded were it not for the need of another rig, especially since I only game at 4K (or 2880×1600 in VR on my Index)

Associate
Would you class a regression over 5800X scores a success?
Lol @Dave2150 the second I saw a post created by you about AMD I knew it would be negative. Why would a chip clocked lower then the vanilla 5800x score higher? The 3D variant is built for games, wait till those results are out before getting excited.

I think intels ipc will beat any cache improvements AMD have brought with this cpu
Is not Intel's IPC is there clock speeds

Soldato
If it is faster in gaming that's all that matters. If you want more productivity buy more cores. I'd say this is for existing AM4 owners not for anyone looking to buy into the PC market from scratch. If I didn't need a PC right now I'd wait until later in the year. If I did need one I'd go for Intel. As I already own an X570 board I'll be looking at this with interest.

Soldato

If you always buy the best, how come the last AMD CPU you bought was about 12/13 years ago?

Associate
If you always buy the best, how come the last AMD CPU you bought was about 12/13 years ago?

The last PC I had was an 8700k and 1080Ti.

I sold up and went back to console gaming, this time round I went with a 5950x and 3090. So technically the last AMD cpu I bought was a 5950x last year.

The reason the last AMD cpu before the 5950x was the phenom was because generally intel have been better in my opinion. 2500k 4790k etc were legendary cpu's.

The 5950x is wasted on me as I only really use the PC for gaming, hence why I'm tempted to swap for the 5800X3D if it shows gains in games.

check phone screen resolution

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom