• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7950x With Noctua NH D15?

Associate
AMD recommend a 240mm AIO for this CPU, but I really don't want to use water cooling as My PC is on 24/7 and the life expectancy of AIO worries me. The Noctua seems like it would be fine, I'm just wondering why AMD has such a boner for an AIO for this CPU? Any reason why the Noctua wouldn't be a good choice?

Soldato
AMD recommend a 240mm AIO for this CPU, but I really don't want to use water cooling as My PC is on 24/7 and the life expectancy of AIO worries me. The Noctua seems like it would be fine, I'm just wondering why AMD has such a boner for an AIO for this CPU? Any reason why the Noctua wouldn't be a good choice?

NH-D15 can cool a 7950 easily, I'm using the NH-D15S currently, with fans going no higher than 900RPM at load.

The NH-U12A is just as good as the NH-15 in cooling, if you want a cooler much smaller.

Last edited:
Associate
It will be perfect. LTT recently did a video comparing coolers of different "grades" and concluded that the D15 was functionally as good as any AIO.
Not true. It's pretty much as good at low heat loads but AIO's are ultimately better when you get to higher heat loads. A 420 rad obviously has far more surface area than an air cooler.

cpu-cooler.jpg

Soldato
Not true. It's pretty much as good at low heat loads but AIO's are ultimately better when you get to higher heat loads. A 420 rad obviously has far more surface area than an air cooler.

cpu-cooler.jpg
AIO is better overall in terms of temps but keep in mind that that data is not valid for Zen 7000 due to IHS changes and being denser. The biggest problem for Zen 4 is the heat transfer & heat density, so even though an AIO should do much better than even the best air cooler, the reality is that it won't because the other properties of the CPU will prevent such efficient heat transfer. So unless you delid then it won't necessarily be worth using over an air cooler which will be more reliable (no water leaking risk) and easier to fit in a case and cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
An AIO has more heat capacity than an air cooler, so if you run a 5 minute test the aio will score better. If you run a 30 minute workload on the other hand, a 240 aio should be around the ballpark of the D15.

Soldato
probably not worth the wait. peerless assassin 120 is seriously good value for money?

the peerless assassin 120 can be had for £28 now, that's what 1/3 the price and its only a few degree's behind it

you could buy a used d15, the new one will only have new fans than spin faster.
the d15 is very good but its also very old now and in need of a little more air flow from the fans to hold it lead now days

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom