• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

amd threadripper 1950 or2920

Associate
i'm upgrading my whole system and think an amd looks best but which one?. i like the gigabyte auroa pro mb but also unsure which ram, 32gb, i can use. i have a zotac 1080 graphics card. will a 850 watt psu be enough?

Associate
OP
a very mixed approach, a fair bit of video rendering, games and graphics design as a hobby

seasonic titanium psu

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Next gen Threadripper can't be too far away, and it looks like they'll be dealing with all the drawbacks of current gen including power efficiency / clock speed and one half of the cores not being able to directly access memory (latency). Not that I'm saying current gen Threadripper is bad, it's just that even the upcoming mainstream Ryzen 3000 is going to have up to 16 cores by the looks of it and use a lot less power for it.

Plus, really, you may as well have an up to date motherboard since they're on the horizon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mainstream Zen 2 will probably give 2920X CPU performance or better if the top tier is 12 core 14 thread at launch. If its 16c32t then it'll beat the 2950X.

If it's just CPU performance you need then Zen 2 is likely to be a better choice and is weeks away.

Associate
OP
so from what i'm learnbing is wait for computex and see where it all leads. but at what point do i draw a line and do it, it feels like there will always be an upgrade just round thecorner.

Soldato
the new 3900x looks like a direct hit on tr2920
Not really.

Beyond having the same core count, they are completely different platforms. That being said, the lines between a top end Ryzen 3000 system and entry-level Threadripper 2000 system are a little blurred now.

What exactly is your workload, as in specifically how high-level is your video rendering? You might be better off going 3900X rather than Threadripper now.

Associate
OP
i do a fai bit of rendering but not majorily high level. i'm trying to future proof as much as possible by getting the best i can so it lasts a while

Caporegime
Not really.

Beyond having the same core count, they are completely different platforms. That being said, the lines between a top end Ryzen 3000 system and entry-level Threadripper 2000 system are a little blurred now.

What exactly is your workload, as in specifically how high-level is your video rendering? You might be better off going 3900X rather than Threadripper now.

Are X570 and X399 really that different? High core count CPUs, plenty of PCI-E lanes. They seem very similar. So much so that I cant really see Threadripper being very relevant once 16c32t Zen 2 is available.

A 3900X will outclass both the 2920X and 2950X in terms of compute power. Quad channel DDR4 is still on Threadrippers side but with higher memory speeds on X570 it may not be much differentiating them. Threadripper may allow higher core counts but that's going to be pretty niche, even more so the original Threadripper.

Soldato
Are X570 and X399 really that different? High core count CPUs, plenty of PCI-E lanes. They seem very similar. So much so that I cant really see Threadripper being very relevant once 16c32t Zen 2 is available.

A 3900X will outclass both the 2920X and 2950X in terms of compute power. Quad channel DDR4 is still on Threadrippers side but with higher memory speeds on X570 it may not be much differentiating them. Threadripper may allow higher core counts but that's going to be pretty niche, even more so the original Threadripper.
Right here, right now, there is a blurring of the lines between new Ryzen and old Threadripper. You can do both with 12 cores, and the Ryzen cores will be a good chunk better. But Threadripper has quad channel RAM for those that make use of it, and still has a boat load more PCIe lanes coming off the CPU for proper multi GPU setups. And also bear in mind Threadripper starts at 12 cores and goes up to 32.

And I stress again this is comparing new Ryzen to old Threadripper. Threadripper isn't purely about core counts, it's about the entire platform and is designed to do professional level work where Ryzen would be lacking. Threadripper 3 will diverge itself from top-end Ryzen when it comes out. I'm thinking 48 cores, 256GB RAM, maybe upping the 60 PCIe lane count, just for starters.

Back
Top Bottom