• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to bridge Socket AM2, AM3 with intermediate interconnect?

Associate
AMD looks set to implement a Socket AM2 revision spanning the processor interconnect's current specification and the upcoming Socket AM3 due in 2008. That at least is what reports coming out of Taiwan citing local motherboard-maker sources claim.

According to a Chinese-language HKEPC report, the intermediate interconnect is currently called Socket AM2+. Like AM2, it will support both today's dual-core K8 CPUs plus next year's quad-core K8L chips. The bus speed will rise to 4GHz from today's 2GHz, thanks to the implementation of HyperTransport 3.0.

At this stage the interconnect is down as supporting DDR 2 memory - AM3's key feature is the ability to hook up to DDR 3, support for which is expected to be added to AMD's on-processor memory controller in the 2008 timeframe.

According to the report, AM2+ will debut Q3 2007 - alongside the 'Altair' K8L chip, presumably - with AM3 coming in H2 2008.

It's been claimed in the past that Socket AM2 motherboards will, with a BIOS update, support AM3 processors, even though AM3 mobos will not be able to host AM2 CPUs. Socket AM2+ may be the means by which this, if true, will be achieved.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/03/amd_socket_am2_plus/

Last edited:
Soldato
Baffling news or is it just me?

So we dont need to upgrade our brand new AM2 boards to support 2007 new cpus/platforms I take it?

Aint too fussed I guess, use to getting a new board/memory/cpu with each yearly upgrade anyhow theres always something else new ;)

Soldato
I just want AMD to hurry up and put out something that's competitive with Intel's Conroe architecture.
Competition is what's needed to keep the market going, and if this carries on, i'm personally worried what prices we can expect from the Intel camp this time next year.

Soldato
Just post a link to the page you found.

I personally find it extremely annoying when someone copy and pastes something then you click on the link and read the same stuff again :)

I don't think AMD are going to pull a rabbit out of a hat for a couple of years, which is a real shame :(

Associate
Defcon5 : When AMD design an architecture they want to re-use it for the whole product range including multiprocessor products such as the opteron which will make great use of the higher speed HT links between multiple processors.

While this extra speed isn't required when connecting to the M/B chipset(at present), it is cheaper and less complex (for AMD) to stick to one HT version/speed/protocol.

As a matter of interest, pci-express V2.0 is nearing completion and is expected to be twice the speed of V1.0 which should soak up some of this extra bandwidth.

Russty

Soldato
Dimension said:
this is why i dont buy AMD stuff anymore, their sockets change too often :(

While Intel have stuck with LGA775 for a while, they tend to change chipsets quite often, meaning a new motherboard anyway :)

Associate
I ssupect AMD have had less socket chagnes and they have tended to work for longer over say the alst 10 years

Intels best tricks are to keep the socket but change the VRM specifications or one or two of th signalling pins.

Associate
i don't get what this intermediate socket is for?
AM3 cpu's will work on socket AM2 with DDR2 memory.
AM3 cpu's will work on socket AM3 with DDR3 memory.

so it is basically just a revision to increase hypertransport speed to 4ghz? while that is a good thing, is there really any need. may as well just come right out with AM3, DDR3 and the 4ghz.

then again maybe this ht3.0 is really needed for 4x4 to fly?

Associate
Reality|Bites said:
How long did Socket A last? 5-6 years?

Then came socket 754 which lasted about a year

Then socket 939 which lasted nearly 3 years give or take.

Now we are onto socket 940/AM2

With Intel it was socket 370 - 423 - 478 - 775

SO pretty much equal on that front

Your counting new socket introductions and leaving out intels mobile and other sockets. Longevity is also something else. AMD retained 754 alongside 939 for desktop and mobile sets until this year.

Having used intel since before they socketed their processors, you may just have to belived me that on average through the 10 or more geneations of motherboards i've used, IMHO AMD have kept sockets in use for longer (propbably as a result on not really being in the chipset business) and have tended to give you more opportunity to lenghten a given systems life with a processor upgrade.

Soldato
So confusing with what AMDs doing gonna get more confusing with there 4x4 Socket F mainboards next year...

But they say the K8L will be AM2 compatible at least...

Ive just come to the conclusion new pc = new ram/mobo cos it changes every year anyhow with the chipset/ram type...

Back
Top Bottom