• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD upgrade advice wanted

Associate
Hi everyone.
I'm Andy, and I'm new to the forum.

You can see my PC spec on my sig, and I was just wondering if it's really worth upgrading my CPU? I mostly use my PC for MS Flight sim, and I haven't really got any issues as such. Basically I have a bit of spare cash (for once!) and I was thinking of changing my slightly out of date A64 3000+.

I've just got a good cooler fitted, so should I stick to overclocking what I have, or get an X2 or Opteron?

Any advice appriciated,

Andy :)

It maybe a good idea to try oveclocking what you have. The poorest of Venices hit at least 2.4Ghz, which is pretty speedy. Give it a go. May just save you some money :)

Mul

If its mainly for gaming, get a 3700 SD, overclock it and also GET* some 2GB RAM kit.

*A64 doesn't like all memory slots filled up. Better two (2) 1GB sticks :)

upgrade

WOW, fast replies :cool:

Thanks guys. I'm looking at around the £150-£200 mark.

I like the idea of o/c'ing the 3000+ to see what she can do!

Slightly changing subjects if I may, I gather I might need to adjust the voltage of the CPU, and was looking at this today.
I thought I had changed it to 1.525 but Speedfan tells me it's 1.42, as does the BIOS.
There's 2 different options for adjusting the vcore, and I must have used the wrong one. Does anyone know what I mean??!!

I can clarify this a bit better when I can re-start the PC (in mid flight at the mo :D

Hopefully someone will know what I mean :)

Thanks again

Andy

By any chance is there Vcore and Startup Vcore? I know thats on my DFI board.

Most Venice 3000's clock reasonably. I had a fairly poor clocker that could do 2.5Ghz with 1.57V. Was very speedy considering it costed £91 :)

Mul

Why upgrade, if you dont have any issues yet. If your happy with the performance, you can play the waiting game. Intel are going to release Conroe sometime within the next 6 months (Could well be as early as July).

Regardless of if you are an Intel, or AMD fan, its likely that intel getting back into the game will trigger increased price competition between AMD and Intel, which will only benifit you. Cheaper and faster processors for everyone.

If you want to 'approximate' the price of the new Conroes, look at how much the PentiumD's were slashed in price a few days ago.

A 2.66Ghz Conroe's list price is the same as the current list price for a PentiumD 960, and the 2.4Ghz Conroe's list price matches the PentiumD 950.

That said, overclocking is fun :), and you probably have some untapped potential in your current system while you wait to see what happens soon.

I like that advice ;)

And I think you're right. Personally I'm an AMD fan, but like you say, prices could drop soon.

So I'll wait as you say and try overclocking.
I must admit, I do enjoy o/c'ing!!

Once I get this voltage issue sorted out!

Thanks,

Andy

Back
Top Bottom