• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

- AMD Vega 56 problems - atikmpag.sys

Soldato
I build a PC for someone and he is getting these crashes on the PC.....

problem_1a.png

problem_1b.png

I'm fairly sure it's a graphics card issue as the crashes happen when playing games only (most stress on the GPU)

In another thread it was suggested that I flash to another BIOS, which I'll do, so thanks for that suggestion.

I was wondering though if anyone else has had that same error and if you found a fix for it?

The last time I personally had similar was when my AMD4870 graphics card was faulty (waaaaay back years ago) Even with a replacement 4870 it still happened and I ended up going to Nvidia GTX260. I never found out what was causing the problem.

@AMDMatt Have you any suggestions?

The Vega56 card itself is a good performer but given the person needs a working PC for his college course (game design) we need a sharpish resolution or I'll have to suggest he jumps ship to Nvidia. Which I'm loathe to do to be honest. He got a freesync monitor as part of the package I built for him.

Last edited:
Associate
just had a problem with my pc. the only game i am playing atm would crash when i clicked play if it got that far. sometimes it would crash before i could click play. seems it was windows 10 creator edition. reset my windows install and its fixed.

Man of Honour
Timeout Detection and Recovery errors are an absolute ******* to diagnose - the GPU is one of if not the most realtime sensitive parts of the system so often the GPU driver is the first noticeable point of failure of something that could be completely unrelated - or it could be a dodgy GPU.

First thing I would do is remove any overclocking that might be in effect and do a proper mem test to rule that out. Sadly often these kind of errors are often best resolved by completely changing the GPU for another model or make.

Soldato
OP
Few questions:

What's the system spec?

Is the windows a fresh install?

Have you tried using DDU for a clean driver install?

Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Stand Alone
AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 Midi-Tower Case - Black
600W 80 Plus Bronze Full Modular Power Supply
MSI B350 Tomahawk AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (TDPRD416G30

Fresh Windows 10 install

Nope not yet, getting the PC back to run some more tests on it.

Soldato
OP
just had a problem with my pc. the only game i am playing atm would crash when i clicked play if it got that far. sometimes it would crash before i could click play. seems it was windows 10 creator edition. reset my windows install and its fixed.

I'm fairly sure I didn't let the creator update install on it. How can I find that out if he has inadvertently done it himself? What's the update number, if it has one??

Soldato
OP
Timeout Detection and Recovery errors are an absolute ******* to diagnose - the GPU is one of if not the most realtime sensitive parts of the system so often the GPU driver is the first noticeable point of failure of something that could be completely unrelated - or it could be a dodgy GPU.

First thing I would do is remove any overclocking that might be in effect and do a proper mem test to rule that out. Sadly often these kind of errors are often best resolved by completely changing the GPU for another model or make.

The GPU wasn't overclocked but I did flash the BIOS to a 64 (actually the water cooled one in error) so I flashed it back again to a normal 56. Would the sapphire BIOS differ from a standard reference BIOS?

Associate
The GPU wasn't overclocked but I did flash the BIOS to a 64 (actually the water cooled one in error) so I flashed it back again to a normal 56. Would the sapphire BIOS differ from a standard reference BIOS?

Is the card powered by one cable or two separate cables from the PSU? please try two separate cables if the PSU supports it.

I would recommend flashing the GPU back to its default BIOS. Also have you flashed the motherboard to the latest BIOS? I would highly recommend that too.

Once those are done, uninstall the drive and run DDU. One complete install the new drivers and test the system.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is the card powered by one cable or two separate cables from the PSU?

I would recommend flashing the GPU back to its default BIOS. Also have you flashed the motherboard to the latest BIOS? I would highly recommend that too.

One those are done, uninstall the drive and run DDU. One complete install the new drivers and test the system.

How do I get a default BIOS? I did a schoolboy error and didn't make a BIOS backup :o

Motherboard has latest BIOS.

Getting the machine tomorrow to run more tests over the weekend.

Associate
How do I get a default BIOS? I did a schoolboy error and didn't make a BIOS backup :o

Motherboard has latest BIOS.

Getting the machine tomorrow to run more tests over the weekend.

Download from here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=AMD&model=RX+Vega+56

Make sure you download the right version. 1st = Right BIOS (switch) 2nd = Left BIOS (switch).

Is the card powered by one cable or two separate cables from the PSU? once you have the machine back please try two separate cables if the PSU supports it.

Associate
I'm fairly sure I didn't let the creator update install on it. How can I find that out if he has inadvertently done it himself? What's the update number, if it has one??
i dont know of a way to stop it from eventually downloading and installing itself. its not as simple as older windows have been. ive now deferred it for 365 days lol

i dont know the update number but i got advice to check version

win + r and then type winver
the version that i had to reset for is/was 1709 the version that works for me is 1703

Soldato
OP
i dont know of a way to stop it from eventually downloading and installing itself. its not as simple as older windows have been. ive now deferred it for 365 days lol

i dont know the update number but i got advice to check version

win + r and then type winver
the version that i had to reset for is/was 1709 the version that works for me is 1703

Thanks squire. I'll give it a nosey this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom