• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yep and why nVidia release the Titan first. Ohh look Titan the single most fastest card. Dammm that price though. Blumin rip off. GTX xx80Ti comes along and at half the price or less. Ohh look it's same performance or slightly faster than the Titan but costs a lot less than a Titan. I can get Titan performance for a lot less. I'm getin that card :)

Reality is nVidia never intended you to buy the Titan/same card for the higher price but intended the titan to act as a way to hike up the price to make the 80Ti look more appealing. And it works :)

TBH i hate my self for buying the 1080Ti but just looking at what sort of performance i could get at 1440p just grabbed me and i found it hard to wait around. Even after buying one i think it's overpriced and have buyers remorse but never the less love the performance i get in games.

I don't understand people saying that the 1080ti is overpriced for what it is. It's one of the fastest cards on the market and from what I've heard on these forums people are more than willing to pay what's being asked. After all something's only worth what people are willing to pay. Back on topic though, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Vega will perform, I'm due to upgrade my 290x

there is a lot of bias on these forums regarding prices. AMD had several very expensive cards sold on launch at £500, £600, heck I've seen dual GPU cards go for £1200. Somehow however a few here treat AMD as a knight in shining armor for some reason and apparently only when NVidia sells something for a similar price, well then clearly it's a rip off. We all have a choice, buy or don't buy, no one is getting their hands in your pockets, we all buy what we want. AMD have their own agenda and strategy and if anyone thinks AMD have their best interest at heart, well, I call those people naive :)

Soldato
Your not comparing like for like. Nvidia's top end consumer GPU retails at $1,200.

I'm comparing both 1080ti and TitanXp to 1st and 2nd card from 10 years ago. TitanXp is a bit more, 1080ti is a bit less. Considering most people very rarely buy the top tier card, in real terms the 1080ti is actually a slightly lower price than the 8800GTX from 10 year ago, but look at the quality of what you get now vs. 10 years ago.

Caporegime
Soldato
there is a lot of bias on these forums regarding prices. AMD had several very expensive cards sold on launch at £500, £600, heck I've seen dual GPU cards go for £1200. Somehow however a few here treat AMD as a knight in shining armor for some reason and apparently only when NVidia sells something for a similar price, well then clearly it's a rip off. We all have a choice, buy or don't buy, no one is getting their hands in your pockets, we all buy what we want. AMD have their own agenda and strategy and if anyone thinks AMD have their best interest at heart, well, I call those people naive :)
Never made out AMD are a knight in shining armor or are morally better :) But at the moment with nVidia having faster cards they can choose to charge what they like. AMD get the impression they are morally better because they try to be competitive and nvidia are bad guys because they charge more. I'm certain if AMD was in nvidia's position they would be charging what they wanted also. Either way competition is what we need to make sure it keeps each company in check. I don't mind buying either AMD or nVidia but personally for my budget i want the fastest card i can buy at when i did that it was nvidia at the time. Also i have a Gysnc screen which makes more more inclined to buy an nvidia card. However im looking at buying a 4k HDR screen soon as my next upgrade but keeping current screen too, so might get a Async screen so it plays nice with the Xbox scorpio and means i can also choose either brand :)

Caporegime
Haha. Yeah that is a funny vid. AMD messed up with their stock cooler for the 200 series.

By the way, was your Titan X not like that also? :p;)
Yer, I didn't realise how bad it was til moving on to a custom cooler. I had always been water cooled with ref cards before and it wasn't til summer time did I think "Geeez, I can't handle this" lol. All ref cards can do one as far as noise goes :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yer, I didn't realise how bad it was til moving on to a custom cooler. I had always been water cooled with ref cards before and it wasn't til summer time did I think "Geeez, I can't handle this" lol. All ref cards can do one as far as noise goes :D
Yeah lol, I will never go reference ever again myself. Either watercooled or a very good custom one with a huge heatsink :D

Caporegime
Its remarkable how people seem to forget that AMD's most recent high end card had the same RRP but high street price at the 980ti which was faster.

Caporegime
I'm comparing both 1080ti and TitanXp to 1st and 2nd card from 10 years ago. TitanXp is a bit more, 1080ti is a bit less. Considering most people very rarely buy the top tier card, in real terms the 1080ti is actually a slightly lower price than the 8800GTX from 10 year ago, but look at the quality of what you get now vs. 10 years ago.

The Titan branding also came in as a kind of luxury model for people with loads of disposable income. The model tier didn't really exist in the past as it does now. People look at titan prices and start forming ridiculous opinion that Nvidia have skyrocketed prices but you need to compare tiers, the 1080ti is more like the top end for serious gamers and as you say, in some respect 1080ti type card is actually somewhat cheaper than in some generations of old.

The there data point is to look at AMD current cards with equivalent Nvidia. Very hard pushed to say the RX580 is somehow better value for money than the 1060: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/32.html
the 1060 is better performance per dollar up to 1440p.

Soldato
Its remarkable how people seem to forget that AMD's most recent high end card had the same RRP but high street price at the 980ti which was faster.

It was water cooled though. What was the price of an Aio cooled 980ti at the time. It was around £200 more i think. It's apple's to oranges in this regard. Fury X should have been £50-£100 less than the Ti and have been air cooled like the Fury non X.

Caporegime
It was water cooled though. What was the price of an Aio cooled 980ti at the time. It was around £200 more i think. It's apple's to oranges in this regard. Fury X should have been £100 less than the Ti and have been air cooled like the Fury non X.

AMD shouldn't have water cooled wit with a cheap whining PoS. The point is though you could buy a 980ti that was faster than the FuryX. If AMD a forcing everyone to buy their AIO then things will be the same this time round.

Soldato
AMD shouldn't have water cooled wit with a cheap whining PoS. The point is though you could buy a 980ti that was faster than the FuryX. If AMD a forcing everyone to buy their AIO then things will be the same this time round.

Yea i agree they definitely went down the wrong route. I think they knew the chip wasn't up to the task against the 980ti and they just wanted to give it a selling point in the way of the AIO. Those that never got a faulty pump say it was indeed a decent cooler. I think Greg was impressed by it and there are plenty more around here that have said the same. If it had the performance then i am sure it would have sold way better than it did.

Soldato
Well seen as Griff quoted me. I certainly do not forget the Fury X price. And i even said it was overpriced for what it offered. Still do think its RRP was too much. Yea performance was underwhelming at first but got better as time went on. Still doesnt justify price. But i also think 1080Ti price is Over priced also.

Caporegime
Yea i agree they definitely went down the wrong route. I think they knew the chip wasn't up to the task against the 980ti and they just wanted to give it a selling point in the way of the AIO. Those that never got a faulty pump say it was indeed a decent cooler. I think Greg was impressed by it and there are plenty more around here that have said the same. If it had the performance then i am sure it would have sold way better than it did.
IT is a shame becuase the FUryX card was veyr well built and when the cooler was working correctly the whole thing was super quite and could keep the card very cool. IF the GPU was just a little faster and it could overclock better then they would have had a winner.

Caporegime
Well seen as Griff quoted me. I certainly do not forget the Fury X price. And i even said it was overpriced for what it offered. Still do think its RRP was too much. Yea performance was underwhelming at first but got better as time went on. Still doesn't justify price. But i also think 1080Ti price is Over priced also.
The problem is its easy to think back to when you used to be able to buy a good card for 400 quid or so., but if you take into account forex issues and inflation the pries really haven't changed much in 15 years. You might expect prices to come down but what is happening is the manufacturing processes are getting exponentially more expensive, let alone the cards getting far more complex physically (the PCB+ HSF). I remember my earlier cards that were tiny things with a a small lump of aluminum fins and a tiny fan like a motherboard has. The PCB alon is a marvel of engineering these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom