• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

Soldato
OP
Not worth waiting for DDR5 either. It will take a couple of years to catch up with DDR4 speeds. PCIe 4.0 is more interesting from a longevity point of view to me. I upgrade infrequently, so fast DDR4 and an excess of PCIe bandwidth should keep me going for quite a few GPU cycles.

Yes I agree, I think the socket change and DDR5 support will come with Zen 4 Ryzen 5, but I did read a rumour quite some time ago that with one of the Zen's, they were taking about releasing 2 versions, one to support DDR4 and the other to support DDR5, AMD after all did also say they would support the AM4 socket all the way upto 2020, so Zen 3 really should be the last one before the change over, however, I think DDR4 will still be mainsteam next year whilst DDR5 catches up.

AMD have done it before where boards supported 2 different RAM types, 2 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3 I think it was.

Soldato
OP
I'm waiting for the moment when AMD will stop shooting themselves in the feet. When they do it, I'm jumping on their ship.
Also, the first generation (Ryzen 3000) on a new process (TSMC 7nm) is never the most optimal.

Well if you're upset about the price and performance, just compare it to the same version in threadripper, a 2920x 12 core 24 thread is £570, a Ryzen 3000 12 core 24 thread is going to be £499 and more convenient, it will be on desktop rather than HEDT, what's wrong with the pricing ? It's cheaper than the HEDT counterpart.

Soldato
OP
I personally do not see the 3950X as a mainstream CPU. You can't just call a CPU mainstream because of the socket. It's a number of factors, one of which is the price. And even though it is sixteen cores, the pricing is a bit silly.

Why not, a lot of people are running 8 core 16 thread CPUs now........so a 16 core CPU sounds great to me, with all that cache too, turn off smt (hyper threading) and just have a true pure 16 cores working for you, sounds like a great move by AMD to me, and you still have smt available to take it to 32 threads if you need it.

Soldato
OP
Will go for the 3900X from a 2700X. Will keep X470 board for a while then might swap over to an X570.

Im more interested in the X570 motherboards than I am RyZen 3000 CPU at the moment, the only thing the CPU would bring me is PCI-e 4.0 and a small speed increase, probably not noticeable in everyday use, same amount of PCI-e lanes from the CPU only it will be PCI-e 3.0 instead, what I really want is 3 nvme drives in RAID0 at full speed, and X570 will do that for me, even with my 2700X.

Soldato
OP
I'd double-check that before pulling the trigger. Part of the reason 3x NVMe RAID is there is because of the PCIe 4 link giving sufficient bandwidth from the CPU to the PCH to actually do it. Is this feature actually available with a PCIe 3 controller in the 2700X?

I have already checked it out,it would work exactly the same way as it would with a RyZen 3000 cpu, only it will run at Gen3 instead of Gen4, but my nvme drives are Gen3 anyway, so I dont need Gen4, unless I want to spend £1000's changing everything, you still get the same amount of PCI-e lanes etc, only at Gen3 with 2000 series CPU's.

Taken from the MSI website, I noticed ASUS motherboards opted for 8 SATA ports and 2 M.2 slots, which is why I wont be buying ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte went for 6 SATA ports and 3 M.2 Drives:

AMD® X570 Chipset
  • 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports
  • 3x M.2 slots (Key M)1
    • M2_1 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
    • M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices
    • M2_3 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it now, I don't think my comment was correct.

According to the X570 block diagrams floating around, the chipset can have two M.2 drives attached with 4 lanes each in addition to the single M.2 hooked into the CPU. So right there I'm not sure if you could RAID all 3 drives, likely just the 2 on the PCH. But doesn't that also mean the PCH-CPU connection is only half the bandwidth of M.2 RAID0 (assuming both M.2 drives are PCIe 4 and max out their 4 lanes)?.

Im not too sure on that, but Intel run the nvme drives through the PCH and get full speed out of them ???? non of those are connected direct to the CPU.

ASUS also managed it with the CH7 AMD motherboard with 1 m.2 connected to the CPU and 1 connected to the PCH.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But that's not RAID0 though. That's the point with a Stripe, you access drives simultaneously to multiply your I/O speed. So in the case of 2 drives hooked to the PCH at 4 lanes each, you're attempting to send 8 lanes of data down a 4 lane connection.

Ive explained all of this before in other threads, the 4 lanes from the CPU to the chipset is just for the DMI link, google it for a full explanation, 4 lanes gives the link about 32gb/s of bandwith and thats Gen3.

Do you really all think that the 4 lanes that connect the CPU to the PCH are just for transferring data from 1 nvme drive connected to the PCH back to the CPU.....of course not, what about everything else like SATA drives, USB, LAN,and any cards in slots connected to the PCH, those 4 dedicated lanes are for the DMI link, unfortunatley at the moment im unable to find out what bandwith the DMI runs at on X570.

Just with a very quick google search, this is DMI version 1.0 using 4 lanes from the CPU to basically connect the PCH to it, provides 2GB/s of bandwidth, X470 was DMI 3.0, pretty sure X570 will be 4.0

2vnkfv9.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom