Amp advice

Associate
I'm hoping I can get some advice.

My current audio setup is a Monitor Audio A100 hooked up to a pair of B&W 685 S2 speakers.

I mainly use AirPlay and the optical input from my PC, also occasionally DLNA to steam FLAC files from my NAS.

The A100 sound quality is fantastic and very composed. However I have recently been feeling that I would like a little more bass with some music - nothing excessive though. I was wondering whether replacing the A100 with an amplifier that has dedicated bass and treble controls would be a way forward?

I was looking at the Yamaha R-N402D. This is classed as a 'network receiver' rather than an amplifier, however from what I can see, it is both. It also seems to have all the connectivity of the A100 with the addition of Bluetooth (with AAC support), a radio (FM, DAB and internet) and quite a few other features.

My questions are:

1. How would the Yamaha R-N402D compare to my Monitor Audio A100 in terms of sound quality?

2. The Yamaha is classed as a network receiver - I always thought that a network receiver was a separate component that you hook up to an amp. As this is an integrated device - would it deliver inferior sound quality?

3. Are there any other amps that I should consider for £300-400 - I don't mind buying used either.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this maybe better asked in the home cinema/hifi section. Some of the more hifi knowledgeable members post here from time to time, but quite a few don't.

Associate
I have the N202 variant of the Yamaha and it sounds excellent. Using an optical connection and the DAC in the amp, the sound quality is superb and better than any soundcard.

For gaming, I have my Logitech speakers plugged into the headphone socket and that provides excellent stereo sound. For music, I unplug the Logitechs and enable the Speaker A output that is connected to a pair of Tannoy Revolution floorstanders.

By far the best sound set up I've ever had, I'd go for the amp and connect an optical cable to your PC. I did try analogue, but there was a clear difference in sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom