Amsterdam - Where to stay?

Consigliere
So I am going to Amsterdam for a thing....:p

No no, not really. Anyways, pondering a trip there and looking to visit a few of the local sights with a mate.

Not really into the cafes however we want to be within a short walking distance of the sights/sounds. It won't be a crazy weekend of early morning clubs etc.

Any suggestions on which area/district to stay in?

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve stayed at Motel One a couple of times. Nice location, clean, good size rooms (most rooms in Amsterdam are tiny) quiet area but near everything, it has a bar and is pretty cheap (for Amsterdam).

Man of Honour
Always found accommodation in Amsterdam very expensive for what you get, usually stay a bit out of the way and cycle/walk into the central area.

Anywhere within the A10 ring road is an easy journey to the sights, amsterdam-noord (the north bit in the a10) is cheaper for accommodation but there's nothing really to see, free 24 hour ferry though so it's still relatively walkable/bikeable.

Soldato
Dutch public transport is that good, you don't need to worry about being out the centre of Amsterdam.

We usually stay around Sloterdijk, there's a few hotels right near the train station - Holiday Inn, Meineinger (a hostel, but has private rooms), or a Park Inn by Radisson. Depending on your budget. It's one stop on the train from Centraal and costs about €3 each way?

Soldato
Awesome city although the centre is overwhelmingly touristy and expensive and as others have said, transport is very good so you shouldn't have issue if you wanted to stay just outside.

Personally i prefer the outer canals and last time i stayed between Leidseplein and Vondelpark, which ended up being a really good location as it wasn't too busy and noisy but only a 5/10 minute tram ride if we wanted to get into the centre proper. And there were some decent museums (Rijksmuseum was a 10/15 minute walk etc), cafes (actual coffee shops), quaint shops etc around that area.

Soldato
On my most recent visit I stayed at "Hotel Arena" next to Oosterpark. It was lovely and about a 20 minute walk into the centre.

Previous visits I have stayed in Airbnbs and hostels.

Soldato
We stayed at a place called Hotel de Hallen which was a bit out of the way but in a great area. And right around the corner from a cool food market hall etc. It’s a converted train station I think, so quite interesting. (The food hall was the other part of the station)

Soldato
We stayed in Sloterdijk because the hotels closer to the centre seemed fairly pricy. It's very convenient as there's a quick train to the centre and to the airport going the other way. However I wouldn't stay there again as the place is completely lifeless; imagine a train station a dozen hotel tower blocks and that's Sloterdijk.

Soldato
We stayed at the NH hotel in the museum quarter a few years back and it was excellent. It's a few miles to central station so might be a bit far away from the tourist bits but it was very easy to get a team/walk.

Soldato
We stayed at the movenpick, albeit its probably about ten years ago now. Hotel was lovely, walking distance from the train station and walking distance into the centre. If I were to go again I wouldn't consider anywhere else.

Associate
We have been a few times. One time was this:

"Floriade is an international exhibition and garden festival, held every 10 years in the Netherlands. All have been World Horticultural Expositions and listed as an A1 category exhibition by the International Association of Horticultural Producers and hence recognised by the Bureau International des Expositions."

You have to take a coach trip but it is something special.

Soldato
I've stayed in Amsterdam a few times now. I personally think the furthest end away from the main train station is the better section.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q38Ut1k6xxMGaehh6

Screenshot-2022-03-15-22-02-31-124-com-google-android-apps-maps.jpg

There is a decent section of restaurants, bars and nightlife at this end. The top half by the train station as I call it, is more shops.
The tram is easily accessible from here and stuff like the red light district are walking distance.
There are plenty of nice canals to walk over, boat trips to take and the market and high street is within walking distance.

If I go back, it would this end of town.

Last edited:
Soldato
We stayed in Sloterdijk because the hotels closer to the centre seemed fairly pricy. It's very convenient as there's a quick train to the centre and to the airport going the other way. However I wouldn't stay there again as the place is completely lifeless; imagine a train station a dozen hotel tower blocks and that's Sloterdijk.

Haha that description sounds like the place :) I stayed there when I took my girlfriend to Amsterdam.

Back
Top Bottom