Android radio problem or not

Soldato
I have a 2010 Ford Focus 2.0ltr TDCI Powershift with keyless start.

I am on my second Android radio now - first one playing up and seemingly draining battery over a few days - Put old radio back in and seemed fine - OEM radio was also faulty -no USB or disc playing so got a new Pumpkin Andriod on 7.1 - A vast step up on old Android - So once again I am getting battery drain - Because we don't use car daily but I have to start it to move it out of garage then put it back the battery gets a hammering.

The connections on radio are if I remember yellow for the permanent positive and red for switch 12v feed - because it's keyless there is no ACC or ignition switch - With ignition off the radio will not turn on - turn on ignition and radio becomes live - That says to me it's got a switched live red wire feed. Proved with a multimeter - no ignition no 12v -ignition on +12v

The other week I took car in to have battery tested - the young lad said it's showing fine but needs charging - Now this car has a build year of 2008 so that makes battery 9 years old so what are the chances a cell has gone or whole thing is on way out - I am really tempted just to buy a new battery as winter is almost up on us - last thing I need is neighbour over the road having to come jump start me like he had to yesterday.

I now put battery on charge every two days - I think I am baulking at £140 ish cost of new battery.

Caporegime
I've also got a battery drain problem that's emerged on my MX5 since fitting an Xtrons Android headunit. The car was fine with the stock Mazda item in it, but now if the car gets left for little over a week, it's flat.

Yet to pin down exactly why it's draining, I guess the permanent live circuit for the "memory" is simply a higher draw than the old OEM radio.

Soldato
OP
That is my thoughts exactly at the moment - My old one was Xtrons - At the moment the car is in garage - I have operated the bonnet catch so it's closed - then closed and locked doors and set the alarm - I am now measuring the voltage across battery for next 4 hours - Will charge battery over night then disconnect radio and test for battery drop again - Hopefully it's battery as I am totally fed up of having radio in and out like a YoYo - My problem is I don't use car every day.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Same, my MX5 gets used weekly at most, and more often than not a couple of times a month (likely to be less over winter).

I'm half tempted to install a hidden switch to remove all power from the radio when it's laid up.

Soldato
OP
Charged my battery up yesterday and reading said 12.5v - - left meter on all night with car locked and this morning it read 12.35v - Mate over the road checked his spare battery and that showed 12.35v and said if I connect this to a car it won't even turn the engine - mind didn't either this morning - So bit the bullet and ordered a new battery as mine is at least 8 yrs old.

If you put a switch in the yellow wire that is the permanent feed to radio - in my case the only thing I might lose is radio stations -not got anymore settings programed in. - I thought about connecting yellow to the red switched wire.

I know yours isn't a Pumpkin but this might help http://www.autopumpkin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161

Will update when the new battery is in.

Soldato
OP
Had a new battery fitted on Monday - used car Tuesday so last night I locked it up in garage - took a battery reading of 12.71v - checked this morning and now on 12.56v - this is much better than readings from the old battery and also the Android radio is still connected. - Going out soon so will see how well it starts.

Battery was booked in for last Friday but battery was too tall in battery box and clamp didn't fit -(never knew it was a MOT failure) - So they got a smaller battery and that was too tall hence Monday fit as they then had to order it. -- Bosch battery 80a -680a - Fitted and a electric test which nothing untoward showed up for £145 - The last battery I purchased was £43 for my Mazda 626 V6 GT.

Cars are fine these days providing nothing goes wrong and then dig deep in your pockets.

Back
Top Bottom