Android tablet advise

Associate
Hi guys

I want to bring tablets into my organisation.
We complete surface repairs across various building sites. At present our guys fill out a paper form at the end of the day, which site sign, and it's then posted in at the end of the week.

I have found some software to develop forms on an android device, so they could fill it in digitally, and email to the office when done. Saving paper and postage costs.

So, can someone give me some advise on good android tablets please.

Need -
7" display
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth

Like -
3G
10" display
Camera
GPS

Many thanks guys

Associate
I would advise you to learn the difference between "advise" and "advice".

Soldato
I would advise you to learn the difference between "advise" and "advice".
I'm sure he does, I gather it was probably a typo.

TBH, if you want a tablet for this purpose it's probably best going for the nexus 7. The price does make them pretty dam cost efficient.

Soldato
But that's all you get, three more inches of inferior screen. The nexus 7s screen is better, along with the processors.

Yeah because all that really matters when filling in a form on a building site. :)

These kind of use cases are always better served with a bigger tablet. Who cares if GTA III has a lower framerate or looks worse from a 45 degree angle.

Soldato
I don't agree in the slightest.

Portability would be nice and no one mentioned GTA 3, general performance in tasks and interactions is much better on the 7.

Soldato
If your company is looking for the best experience without considering price then surely the Samsung Note 10.1 would be the best option for forms?

I think it ticks all your boxes with the addition of pen input?

Soldato
I find 10 inch tablets don't fit in my glove box. That sounds a bit of a petty nigle but having to hide it in the boot is a right pain in the ****

* I'm using a nexus 7 with 3g dongle :)

Soldato
I don't agree in the slightest.

Portability would be nice and no one mentioned GTA 3, general performance in tasks and interactions is much better on the 7.

I have both a Xoom and a Nexus 7. You wouldn't notice any difference in the 'general performance' of filling out a simple form and sending it. Larger text and keyboard is more important in this kind of scenario than the icons being 'buttery smooth' when you move them.

You can talk about portability all you want but his wants included a 10 inch screen over a 7 inch one, so he obviously would prefer that size and he knows what the device is being used for and how it is being used.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That you for all your help guys.

As for cansa, :(
No real help there ay mate?!

I agree a larger screen would be helpful. Not only to make it easier for our guys to write onto the form, or type onto the form, but also for the site manager to see and read it before he signs the work off.

I do think I will go for a nexus 7 to develop the forms on, and make sure i am happy with it properly, then move up to the other one when I invest properly, as I will need to buy about 12 of them at once.
Storing them is not a problem as they all have vans! And mobile phones, so I was thinking of linking them via Bluetooth to the phones and use that for data, rather than paying a further 3G monthly fee, if you see what I mean?

Can I use pens on a normal tablet ok? I should try it on my iPad I guess!!

Top Bottom