Annoying Phone Calls

Associate
How many other people actually get many many phone calls from companies try to sell everything? My number is ex-directory so I don't even know how they get the number. :confused:

I'm sick of getting these calls now. Here is the last one-

Gym Guy- Hi, this is Kicks Gym, how are you?
Me- *thinking- wtf lol*
Me- What is this for?
Gym Guy- It's just about a summer promotion.
Me- Sorry I'm already a member of a gym (I'm not really :p )
Gym Guy- Which one?
Me- *lol* I don't want to tell you
Me- *hang up*

I probably sound like a complete **** but I get sick of these calls.

How does everyone else handle them? Play along? Or just hang up? :p

Associate
dragonflyy said:
That doesn't stop them :(

Why hasn't it stopped them? If I remember right it is an offence for companies to call you once you have registred with Tps and compaines can be fined severly. you need to tell them that you are registered with Tps and ask them to speak to a manager.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Every now and then I get companies phoning for bloke who lives on the other side of town for the past 4 years. My numbers always been x directory and it was a new phone line and number 4 years ago. I've reported them to tps which seems to have sorted them. I absolutly h8 junk mail and cold calls with a passion but my wife seems to love getting junk mail and fills load of crap in and sends it back for free stuff. Annoys me no end. If i ever get junk mail and tear it up and send it back in the pre-paid envelope:)

Soldato
I had one once where I just hung up, then had the guy from an indian call centre calling me back and asking me why I was so rude, which I then showed him the exact meaning of rude. That was about the only time I was actually entertained by one of these calls.

Just registered with tps, we'll see.

Soldato
Kell_ee001 said:
I tell them politely that I'm not interested and can they please take me off thier lists.

The person on the phone is just doing their job after all :)

Yep same here, they're only trying to make a living

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Kell_ee001 said:
I tell them politely that I'm interested and can they please take me off thier lists.

The person on the phone is just doing their job after all :)
Doing their job is no excuse if they are calling people registered on the TPS.

I'm on the TPS, and ex-directory and VERY firmly object to be pestered by telesales. If they catch me on a good day, it'll be "not interested" and I hang up. If they catch me on a bad day, they'll get a very clear and unmistakeable impression of exactly what I think of them.

I don't care if it's their job. I've made it clear that I don't want such calls but they feel free to intrude on my peace and quiet regardless and in breach of their legal duties. So the result is that if I can contribute to giving such a person a really unpleasant day, I regard it as a result and a step in the right direction. If telesales people don't want abuse from me, comply with what is after all a legal requirement and don't ring me.

Permabanned
Just sounds really interested in what they have to offer then start asking them what they are wearing and what is their fav sexual position.

They will hang and tyhey wont call again.

Soldato
wordy said:
Yep same here, they're only trying to make a living

So get a job that doesn't **** people off, or put up with what you get; NOBOBY wants to buy from a cold caller EVER.

TPS is not bad for companies in the UK .... it's the foreign call centres it can't really do much about.

Soldato
My Dad once told me of a good phone call...

Guy from India - "Congratulations Mr Walker, You have won a special prize"
Dad - "Sorry, you've got the wrong number. Mr Walker doesn't live here".
Guy - "What is your name please?"
Dad - "Mr Jones"
Guy - "Congratulations Mr Jones, You have won a special prize"

:D Made me smile.

Associate
singist said:
So get a job that doesn't **** people off, or put up with what you get; NOBOBY wants to buy from a cold caller EVER.

TPS is not bad for companies in the UK .... it's the foreign call centres it can't really do much about.

It does apply to companies if they are registred in the UK no matter where they are calling from. just because they calling from India doesnt give them a dispensation to pester you

Back
Top Bottom