Another £200 upgrade question

Soldato
Can't make up my mind what would benefit my PC most. Got £200 to spare and maybe a little more if needed.

Current spec:-

DFI Ultra D NF4
AMD3000 A64 Winchester (clocked to a smidged over 2ghz)
6600GT PCI-E 128mb - clocked again
1GB geil value.

All other bits are fine. Plenty of HD space and DVD burner etc.

Used for games (a lot of Dawn of War which it runs without issue, but it struggles with the new breed of FPS F.E.A.R. etc) and internet etc.

Any help appreciated. Can't quite work out which bit I should upgrade first. Should I get some more RAM (2X 1GB sticks) or faster CPU or chunkier GFX card?

Man of Honour
2gb will help more in everyday usage as well as in games but I'd probably upgrade the graphics card to something along the lines of an X1800XL at just over £220 or I suppose you could get an X800 GTO16 for £130ish and either replace the Ram totally or buy another 1gb and run the Ram at 2T rather than 1T but that will probably fit into your budget.

Soldato
OP
If I just went for a gfx card, is the suggested X1800XL better than a 7800GT? OC have them at about the same price (£220 Leadtek or £245 for the BFG)

However, isn't the CPU a little slow? I don't mind OC'ing it a bit but don't want to go bonkers - anyone know how far these go "usually" on an artic cooler fan?

As for memory, I think there was some issue running 4X512 sticks rather than 2X1GB but I can't remember what it was - I've always just assumed if I upgrade the RAM it will have to be via 2X 1GB sticks.

Man of Honour
EddScott said:
If I just went for a gfx card, is the suggested X1800XL better than a 7800GT? OC have them at about the same price (£220 Leadtek or £245 for the BFG)

As for memory, I think there was some issue running 4X512 sticks rather than 2X1GB but I can't remember what it was - I've always just assumed if I upgrade the RAM it will have to be via 2X 1GB sticks.

The issue is that you will only get 2T rather than 1T which may limit your overclocks although with A64s you can run a divider quite happily.

The X1800XL is better than the 7800gt, it is faster at stock and should offer better overclocking potential as well :)

The CPU is a little slow but it can probably be overclocked further, it is sitting around 3200 speeds just now if memory serves. You could upgrade to something like a 3700 San Diego within budget but that still leaves a slowish graphics card and 1gb Ram. How useful a CPU upgrade is depends on what you use your PC for mainly and also what is limiting it most. You could upgrade the whole lot for around £450 so if you can sell off your existing parts and put the money towards new then you might have about enough.

Associate
Ok sell the 6600gt on to raise another £70. Also sell the RAM for another £40. Total now of £310.

Upgrade the graphics to a 7800gt or x1800xl, personal choice as there is buggery all between them. Buy the cheapest 2GB RAM kit you can, OCUK or GEIL are fine.

Then overclock that CPU more. You've got an excellent motherboard to do it with. My 3000 winchester (not as good clockers as the venice) is overclocked to 3500 speeds without any extra voltage. At this speed its no longer the limiting factor in games (my 1GB of RAM is).

Back
Top Bottom