• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another 7950GX2 thread

Associate
Hi, I got two EVGA 7950GX2's From OCUK last week and I have installed and run one card and then two cards seperately in both games and benchmarks and have been getting very strange results.
I know its the games that matter more than benchmarks but when they return bad results it usually means something is wrong.

System is a e6600 C2D
Asus p5n32 sli se deluxe
2gb corsair 8500 5-5-5-15

In Aquamark 3 I was getting 83,000 points
In 3dmark 01 = 40,000
In 3dmark 03 = 34,000
In 3dmark 05 = 13,000
In 3dmark 06 = 9,000

Then when I installed the second 7950GX2 I got the following scores

In Aquamark 3 I was getting around 135,000 points
In 3dmark 01 = 38,000
In 3dmark 03 = 21,000
In 3dmark 05 = 9,000
In 3dmark 06 = 5,000

Also games are now much lower frame rates than with one card. :confused:

I have tried uninstalling lots of drivers and options in the advanced tab of the graphics section but while the aquamark scores will vary by up to 5 fps depending on the settings, the 3dmark settings were still carp give or take a couple of hundred or so. :mad:

I knew that in the benchmarks the 7950 in quad setup would be slower than 7900GTX's in SLi but they shouldnt be half of the performance especially when most others are getting a few hundred points more.

All i want is to be able to turn the eye candy on to very high but it seems I have to turn it lower than when i had my 7800GTX (256mb), any help is much appreciated.

Please no " Haha thats what you get for not getting two 7900GTX's" :D

Thanks.

Man of Honour
What resolution are you running in?

The only reason for using a quad SLi system at this point in time is if you're running a 30" Dell/Apple.

The problem is DX9 itself, and Nvidia's lack of a workaround for the problem. DX9 does not like spreading render data between more than two GPUs, so you're effectively getting the same problem as people running SMP systems and being surprised that their systems run games slower than single CPU systems. The driver and DX9 have to spend more time goofing around with allocating tasks to GPUs than if using a two-core solution. Odd, really.

As such, Nvidia have concentrated on minimising the hit of AA/AF at silly resolutions and making image quality as good as possible at such resolutions.

In answer to your current problem, the standard drills apply (looking at your post, you've probably followed all these, anyway): reinstall the driver, make sure the games are being benched using the same settings (AA/AF must be constant).

OcUK Staff
HI there

Quad SLi is only for 2560x1600 resolution ideally and when backed by a very fast CPU.

Try your games with a single card running 16x AF and 4/8x AA then put the other card in and you should see that the Quad gives a boost.

However for most X1900 Crossfire as it works with all games out of the box. :)

Associate
OP
All resolutions are at default in each test, so i should really be getting similar scores to other people with 2x 7950GX2's not 3-4000 less points than with one card installed.

Back
Top Bottom