Another career type thread...

Soldato
So, this is the situation...

After 5 years of being self employed, I was offered a job in a small firm - approx two years ago. They have been good to me, contributed to professional exams and pay a reasonable salary. They are generally good to work for and they trust me with a fair amount of responsibility.

However, out of nowhere a previous colleague has got in touch and wants me to jump ship to work with him again. Now his firm is in a slightly different sector (more commercial) so there is maybe an opportunity to make more money and at the same time move out of the city.

The job I'm in is failry secure but I have no doubt the other would be similarly secure...

I'm going to meet with the guy and discuss anyway but I'm quite happy where I am - is it stupid to move?

I'm not sure I'd have the same opportunity to get into a partnership kind of role where I am but then again who knows!?

Associate
The job I'm in is failry secure but I have no doubt the other would be similarly secure...

I'm going to meet with the guy and discuss anyway but I'm quite happy where I am - is it stupid to move?

I'm not sure I'd have the same opportunity to get into a partnership kind of role where I am but then again who knows!?

The key for me is job security, although that's always difficult to judge these days.

I worked in a role for 2.5 years where I didn't know where my next pay cheque was coming from (and often arrived a few days late - though still by the end of the month). It was terribly stressful, and I moved elsewhere from my "permanent" role into a 1 year contract when the right opportunity came up - despite the short-term safety, it was hugely de-stressing and the best move I made.

I would really check you understand the financial position of the potential new role and firm - everything can change quite quickly!

Soldato
OP
The key for me is job security, although that's always difficult to judge these days.

I worked in a role for 2.5 years where I didn't know where my next pay cheque was coming from (and often arrived a few days late - though still by the end of the month). It was terribly stressful, and I moved elsewhere from my "permanent" role into a 1 year contract when the right opportunity came up - despite the short-term safety, it was hugely de-stressing and the best move I made.

I would really check you understand the financial position of the potential new role and firm - everything can change quite quickly!

True, the job security is one of the biggies, but there's not many truly secure jobs - my current position I'm dealing mainly with rich individuals at a personal level but most of them get twitchy when the markets do - the other job being more commercial based would mean the lenders call the shots which seems like both are as insecure as each other!
But with the new job being almost at the top of the food chain hopefully that would be inherently more secure than just being an employee... Its a tough call especially when you are supporting a wife/baby

Soldato
OP
So I've sat down with the guy and had a good chat through what his vision for the company is and it all sounds pretty good...
My current job is quite secure as we have a line of similar clients and similar jobs so fairly niche and they've done it for 20 odd years - the other company is much more vaired which gives me a wider range of experience and it would be coming in as an associate level with a view to buying into the partnership in 5-7 years time

Can't decide on what's best

Property is cheaper over there and would hopefully be able to get a bit of land to build whereas the property here is a lot more expensive and land is not affordable at all...
But we have babysitters (granny) on hand here which is tremendous and there's loads for the little guy to do..

Soldato
OP
Handed in my notice, current employer has come back with counter offer of promotion/pay rise to slightly better than other offer!

have a professional exam coming up this week (neither job offer relies on it) but too much to think about at the moment!

alx

alx

Soldato
Handed in my notice, current employer has come back with counter offer of promotion/pay rise to slightly better than other offer!

have a professional exam coming up this week (neither job offer relies on it) but too much to think about at the moment!

Difficult choice! Where are the jobs based?

Soldato
OP
one job is based in edinburgh, the other out in the sticks!

The better overall outcome is pretty impossible to predict, I'm still quite young in my profession, so staying here and consolidating the skill set I have is potentially as valuable as moving to expand my skill set with different types of jobs...

both offers on the table are for associate positions in small architecture firms and money on offer is similar (originally it was a 15-20% pay rise to move)

Back
Top Bottom