Another choose me a TFT thread!

Associate
I'm looking for a 20" WS, money isn't an object unless it's utterly insane (work is paying).

Is there a definitive favourite at the moment? It'll play games, do some video work, a bit of photoshop, the usual.

I'm browsing page after page of this forum but I can't find anything that shouts out about a few favourites above the rest.

Caporegime
NEC looks to be the best 20" WS if money is no object.

if you wanted cheap, you could probably go for the Belinea, but some have experienced Backlight bleeding problems. Lots of others havent though, so you may get lucky.

Man of Honour
the Belinea 102035W, NEC W20GX2 and Philips 200W6CS are all popular right now in the 20" range. There's of course the Dell 2405FPW and soon to be released updated 2407WFP which are 24" if you can strecth :) plenty of models emerging soon in WS format, see the new article here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news.htm

Associate
Baddass said:

Hi Baddass, hope you are well ;)

Just reading your article about the "LG.Philips Manage a 1600:1 Contrast Ratio!" ... in order to educate myself about the monitor:

"
It is supposed to help colours look more vivid and bright, text look sharper and enhance the extremes ends of the colour scale, making blacks deeper and whites brighter. This is a great benefit to gamers who have issues seeing enemies lurking in the shadows and for photo / cinema users who want to improve colour quality. This technology is called the Digital Fine Contrast engine (DFC) and consists of 3 elements:
"

True.

"
Auto Contents Recognition (ACR) - detects the type of content being viewed and decides how to use the contrast adjustment engine to make the most of it. This is dependent on the mode selection in the monitor's OSD, choosing between settings like 'Movie', 'Text', 'Games' etc. For example, in 'Movie' mode, the DFC is enhanced for a maximum brightness and in 'Picture' mode colours are deepened.
"

True. Couple of days ago I also noticed that it's behaving differently according to the monitor profile. Think that only in "native" mode ACR is not active, but not sure. Also, "Photo" mode is really deepening the colours. As I mentioned in the review, never witnessed such dramatic colour depth and contrast in this mode. Movie and Gaming mode are very similar ... but somehow Gaming mode is exposing the textures much more (and this is essential for gaming). Also, colour reproduction is slightly different.

"
Digital Contrast Enhancer (DCE) - which reduces black luminance.
"

This is probably the reason why black is so deep.

"
Digital Contrast Mapper (DCM) - Displays the image while ensuring that the enhanced contrast is optimised.
"

Again, true. Even if Advanced DVM is used in the dark scenes you are still able to see the details. Also, this is probably the reason why contrast levels are so good (as confirmed in the review).

Thanks for the info. It's quite new technology and it's working surprisingly good ;) Interestingly enough, only NEC is currently supporting this technology (and LG in near future).

Can I include your text in the review update ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom