Another "Critique my Build Spec" Help Thread

Permabanned
As my current computer was last upgraded in 2009, it's finally time to get something new. The only thing I can reuse is my monitor, DVD drive and the HDDs for storage; the power button on the case is broken and the PSU will be donated to my mothers computer since that one died. The other components are far too old.

I will mainly use my computer for CAD work and occasional gaming. I don't need 4k quality and maximum FPS, quite happy on basic to mid level settings. I would love to have a system that's Cyberpunk 2077 capable with Ray Tracing but that's definitely outta my budget.

Ideally I would like to spend closer to £600 but can push it to £800. Below are the things I've picked and I'm already over my top end budget but I'm so far outta the loop with computer tech, I don't know if I'm over or under spending on any components. Budget increased to £800, with scope to move to £1000 if the overspend makes sense.

Anyone offer any advice on where I can trim some fat or where I should be allocating more money towards?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £899.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I'd save money and get a different motherboard. The MSI B450 one mentioned should be spot on. That'll put you closer to your £800 figure.

Permabanned
OP
thanks for the replies, works been a little crazy at the moment so had to put this on the back burner for a while. Ideally this build will last me another 10 years like my last build, so my original budget of £600 was probably unrealistic for what I want. I can afford up to £1000 but my target is £800, unless spending the extra makes sense. Hoping Black Friday will bring some deals that'll save me a few pennies too.

I'll follow your recommendation and upgrade the GFX card to the 5700 XT.

The SDD will be the boot drive and for programs, I have 2x 500GB HDD's in my current system that are still healthy and I will reuse for storage. Are the NvME drives like a Sabrent Rocket worth it or are they not any better than a SATA SSD in the real world?

I'll change the mobo for the one recommended, didn't realise the one I picked wasn't Ryzen ready. I don't have a AM4 CPU to use for a BIOS update. I also read that Ryzen benefits from faster RAM, would spending a bit more on a "Ryzen Tuned" RAM like below be worth the extra or is it all about the MHz?

Also, should I be looking at an aftermarket CPU cooler or is the stock Ryzen one good enough? I read mixed opinions of people saying it depends on the mobo/BIOS. I don't plan on overclocking as the effort getting a stable OC vs real world benefits are not worth it in my limited experience.

Lastly, is a 500W PSU going to be enough or am I cutting it fine? I found an EVGA 500 B1 for half the price of the Seasonic I spec'd before, unsure if that's a wise decision though or if I'd be better off spending more on a Corsair RM750x

Total: £83.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
This is my current build after looking through the Black Friday offers and the advice I've gotten so far. I think my friend has a decent computer case that he's not using anymore so I'll see if I can get that otherwise I'll go for the Zalman i3. Was looking at the Asus cashback deals on the 5700XT but I think the Sapphire Pulse tamzzy picked is better for the same price. Before I buy it all, can someone answer my last few questions:
  1. is a 550W PSU is enough or should I spend an extra £20 and get a Corsair Rm750x?
  2. Is a NvME card like the Sabrent Rocket going to give me any real world benefits?
  3. Is there anything I've cheaped out on that I shouldn't?

Total: £832.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Back
Top Bottom