Another ebay thread

Soldato
Based on an earlier post, i think the OP said the manufacturer has offered a workaround that he doesn't find acceptable. But could try pushing for replacement with them.

Must've missed that, i've only read contact with the retailer.

I assume the manufacturer is Chinese (Xiaomi/Eufy etc) and so postage would be hefty for any warranty replacements, which i presume the OP wants to avoid.

Soldato
OP
Based on an earlier post, i think the OP said the manufacturer has offered a workaround that he doesn't find acceptable. But could try pushing for replacement with them.

I'm actually curious now what the workaround might be, based on the fact that the drop sensors don't work, if they suggest sticking something up like a baby gate to stop it going down the stairs, then i'd agree that is ludicrous.

Yes they suggested physically blocking the stairs, not with any particular suggestion like a gate, but if my old Roomba never fell down the stairs, this new one shouldn't either really.

Must've missed that, i've only read contact with the retailer.

I assume the manufacturer is Chinese (Xiaomi/Eufy etc) and so postage would be hefty for any warranty replacements, which i presume the OP wants to avoid.

Yep, Eufy.

Can't type for toffee
Don
eBay store, are they registered wiht eBay as a business?
If so then consumer regs kick in repair/replacement or refund within the 12 month wararnty period.
Contract is wiht the store not the manufacturer

Soldato
Soldato
if the manufacturer acknowledged it is a defect , can't you just tell/show the seller that, and demand your consumerhuman rights refund.
but why did it only happen 7 months in, and not sooner ?; you have had some use though, so expect wear&tear deduction.

you've sent them pictures - it is damaged ?, otherwise, it sounds more resilient than bots used in fukushima.

Soldato
OP
if the manufacturer acknowledged it is a defect , can't you just tell/show the seller that, and demand your consumerhuman rights refund.
but why did it only happen 7 months in, and not sooner ?; you have had some use though, so expect wear&tear deduction.

you've sent them pictures - it is damaged ?, otherwise, it sounds more resilient than bots used in fukushima.

Had a house move in the middle of that with some Reno work (all done now) so it didn't spend much time being used really.

Seems to still work ok to be fair!

Soldato
OP
So after I suggested a full refund, they countered with this:

It was quite a while ago that we did our research into consumer law, and we did it by contacting them by telephone. We've had another look and we don't seem to find much specific information of what is available after the 6 month period has passed. We managed to ascertain the following:

"141. After the first 6 months, the trader may apply a deduction to the refund to account for the use that the consumer has had."

This can be found here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes/division/3

So essentially we have the right to deduct an unspecified amount to cover the time that you used the product without issue. Also, we have the right to demand that you prove that the fault was not caused by yourself, essentially you'd need Eufy to confirm in writing that your product faulty through no fault of your own. You can find this information here:

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Due to all of the above, I feel that allowing you to use 100% of the funds on an alternative product is actually more than what we're required to offer. If you don't wish to take us up on this offer, we can offer you a further two options:

1) Return the item for a partial refund of 50%(GBP 79.99).
2) Keep the item for a partial refund of 20%(GBP 31.99).

Please let us know how you'd like to proceed.

I then said:

Hi George,

I believe the partial refund mechanic is predicated on you successfully having attempted to replace the item once, as things stand today this has not been possible as you presumably do not carry stock of the same routinely. Beyond this, a partial refund would normally be pro-rated against time served and the reasonable life expectancy of such a device, I do not believe that a 50% arbitrary value would be considered fair after 7 months of use.

Regarding the fault, I do not believe that anyone will agree that it's normal for the robovac to throw itself down the stairs. I may have picked up on the fault sooner had I not been in the middle of renovating my house after completing a move. The robovac has seen light use as a result.

Due to the above, I am still seeking a full refund on this.

They then said they can't do anything other than what they have already offered.

Next steps? I am considering going straight to credit card claim with Amex, as it was purchased via Ebay/Paypal but backed by my Amex card as the payment method. Following the letter of the law I think they need to either replace the item, or refund it. I could dispute with Ebay/Paypal but I think they won't care much if it's beyond 6 months.

They can't replace it, so I don't think they can attempt to put on conditions around how much they will refund, or the method by which they will apply the refund.

They've also offered 100% refund as store credit, so they are now offering less conditional upon the method by which I accept the refund. I don't think this puts them in a good position as it shows they are happy to refund more if the method suits them.

Thoughts?

Caporegime
So after I suggested a full refund, they countered with this:

I then said:

They then said they can't do anything other than what they have already offered.

Next steps? I am considering going straight to credit card claim with Amex, as it was purchased via Ebay/Paypal but backed by my Amex card as the payment method. Following the letter of the law I think they need to either replace the item, or refund it. I could dispute with Ebay/Paypal but I think they won't care much if it's beyond 6 months.

They can't replace it, so I don't think they can attempt to put on conditions around how much they will refund, or the method by which they will apply the refund.

They've also offered 100% refund as store credit, so they are now offering less conditional upon the method by which I accept the refund. I don't think this puts them in a good position as it shows they are happy to refund more if the method suits them.

Thoughts?

To be honest i think they are being quite reasonable.

I doubt you will get anywhere with Amex or Paypal over this considering it has been 7 months.

If you wanted the protection of a warranty/come back from the manufacturer, then you probably should have bought something that is properly supplied in the UK with an appropriate warranty.

The real difficulty you will face (legally) is that you are beyond the 6 month window. The retailer therefore does have a right to deduct money if you want a proper refund and whether you want to get in a dispute/go to small claims court over how much is up to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to agree
That a 50% deduction is unreasonable
They are getting that figure I assume
By the device having 1 year warranty
And saying you have had it half a year
Approx
They aren't taking into consideration
What would be a reasonable length of time for such a device to last
If there's a load of people on the Internet saying theirs fell down the stairs
Then that's basically acceptable as you proving it was faulty when you got it
Which is usually a sticking point as very hard to prove that
Does it still work
Other than stair issue
Is it worth your time and stress to keep going
Are things to consider
If so you communicated with them first which is fair
Your credit card company has way more clout than you do
Let them sort it

Soldato
I've never read the thread on robovac's, but find it difficult to believe stairs are not a known liability, for any brand (colour/texture of carpet playing into problem)

... apart from the fact you'd have to pay for return postage too - how much ?
I'd consider their 50% offer, and ask them to make it 75% if they inspect the item and cannot provide picture evidence that you have damaged it.

Soldato
OP
I've never read the thread on robovac's, but find it difficult to believe stairs are not a known liability, for any brand (colour/texture of carpet playing into problem)

... apart from the fact you'd have to pay for return postage too - how much ?
I'd consider their 50% offer, and ask them to make it 75% if they inspect the item and cannot provide picture evidence that you have damaged it.

They have sensors on the bottom that are meant to stop them going over the edge, my old Roomba never fell down the stairs and that is some years old at this point (read: it's very basic).

Back
Top Bottom