• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another Gigabytes the dust.

Associate
AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G is now dead...

I installed the F3 Bios which boasts:
  1. TGP:Default/max:300W/375W
As opposed to the F3P Bios which states:
  1. TGP: Default/max:250W/375W
I thought why not?

I settled down to an evening of 4K gaming on the sofa infront of the TV after configuring my new Bluetooth dongle and XBox One controller. My pc is in the next room and the built in Intel Wifi/BT doesn't do so well through the wall. I assumed the two wee aerials are for the Wifi only and the BT is done differently. I've only really thought about it now... I should have done more research.

Oh well, I got a cheapo BT dongle which didn't work then managed to find a cheapo BT dongle which shared the Asus BT dongle chipset. £3.99 Bargain. Worth the 6 weeks delivery. No, 6 days.

Anyway, after much Mudrunning and tire spin, I went to bed. GTA V would have to wait.

A long ******* time as when the PC booted up the next day it **** a brick. Black screens. How odd. After some mucking around and coercing, nae, teasing the ASRock X99 TaiChi to clear it's CMOS and show me some spinning whizz bubbles. Anyway, 9 days, 2 graphics cards, a windows install or two and the Windows loading screen is artefact.

My graphics card history...

Matrox G200 - Lovely

Diamond Monster Voodoo II - 8MB - great

Diamond Monster Voodoo II - 12MB - Swapped for a Sony Trinitron 19" along with a chipped Playstation and 80 dodgy games... never used, probably worked well.

2x Diamond Monster Voodoo II - 8MB SLI MADNESS!! One started artefacting.... binned.

Riva TnT 2 - The colours looked so vibrant.... slower than SLI, but showed me the truth about the pale voodoo outlook.

Nvidia 7300GT - artefacting... binned.

Nvidia 7600GT - artefacting... binned.

ATI Something... Drivers were crap, but things looked colourful when they worked.

Radeon 4850 x2 - Dual GPU beast. Stuck it in the oven after a dude gave it to me. Posted it to a mate which subsequently blew his PSU and ended his World of Tanks career. It probably saved his marriage. There's something satisfying about bringing a GPU back to life with an oven tho...

2x MSI Radeon 7650 = ...from a mining rig. Probably still going.

Gigabyte 1080Ti Ghz Edition - Second hand from delpy, great card. Gigabyte RMA after 2 years use.

Gigabyte 1080Ti Ghz Edition - Second hand from a dude, great card, great in SLI... Gigabyte RMA at about 3 years.

Gigabyte 1080Ti Ghz Edition - RMA Replacement, lasted about an hour...

2x Gigabyte 1070 Mini - RMA Replacements, performed really well. Got 27338 in Firestrike. Were sold before they blew up...

Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Aorus Xtreme - DEAD.

Lasted 19 months and had the lightest use out of them all. It really has been the princess out of the bunch and it's been the most disappointing longevity wise. I'd hazard a guess it's got something to do with running 4 monitors. Perhaps water cooling is the answer.

Associate
OP
Should have a 4 year warranty with the Xtreme, if you brought it second hand gigabyte will fix it but wont replace it

I didn't know that was Gigabyte's strategy now. Amazon have suggested a refund. That money would get me a new Gigabyte 2080 OC Windforce with the 3 free games, which would be another 4 year warranty. That seems like the sensible option, but I'm thinking that Water Cooling might be a more sensible option. These cards keep giving up.

next time try out MSI :)

I saw a review of some MSI 1080Ti. It looked better than the rest! Do they have a reputation? I always associated MSI with cheap stuff. I bought an MSI board a while ago, dirt cheap, that was quite good. I didn't keep it long tho.

Associate
OP
Get a refund and get the 2080. Don't worry about things going wrong, that's what warranties are for ;)

Is it worth letting the 1080Ti go tho? Don't they overclock better than the power restricted Windforce 2080? The benchmarks seem to show very similar performance. I'm going to water cool the next graphics card and don't mind sticking with a 10 series card. I'm not one for buying all of the latest games....

Associate
Is it worth letting the 1080Ti go tho? Don't they overclock better than the power restricted Windforce 2080? The benchmarks seem to show very similar performance. I'm going to water cool the next graphics card and don't mind sticking with a 10 series card. I'm not one for buying all of the latest games....
I would get the MSI 2080 gaming X trio over the windforce, just make sure your ok taking the cooler off regarding warranty if your putting it under water

Associate
OP
I would get the MSI 2080 gaming X trio over the windforce, just make sure your ok taking the cooler off regarding warranty if your putting it under water

Yeah, I was looking at that card. That and the Palit Super Jetstream. I had been distracted with a slightgrade, from x99 to x299. Total waste of time. It should be here on Wednesday.

I haven't opened a graphics card since the 780 Tis...

Soldato
Touch wood I’ve never had a card fail on me yet. I’ve had one faulty straight out of the box. But never a card fail and I’ve had probably 20-30 cards in my life.

Most of these cards have been EVGA cards or Msi. Have owned only one or two Gigabyte cards in the past.

I’d return get a refund and get another with warranty. One reason I always buy new cards or cards with transferable warranty.

Maybe because I’ve fixed a load in the past and often buy cheap dead cards to repair. Maybe they are too scared to die :p

Now I’ve probably just jinxed my 2080Ti lool

Associate
OP
Maybe because I’ve fixed a load in the past and often buy cheap dead cards to repair. Maybe they are too scared to die :p

Now I’ve probably just jinxed my 2080Ti lool

I wondered why faulty cards had a price of £200+ Well done! The 780Ti's were the first time I'd claimed on a warranty. Oh how stupid I used to be...

A refund sounds like a good idea, then perhaps a 2080 that really sucks the juice. I'm trying to find info on a Zotac Amp Maxx, as it seems to have better power delivery, I don't know if it's a reference board or not. I can't seem to find info on the Zotac warranty from their website either. I'm assuming it's still 5 years? They've probably gone quiet about it since all the cards die.

Associate
Hi does anybody have the F1 or F2 version of aorus gtx 1080ti xtreme 11g? (GV-N108TAORUS X-11GD) i recently updated Bios to F3 version and screen now flashes randomly. I cant believe that.

Back
Top Bottom