Another How much thread (Sorry)

Associate
I currently have an i3 6100U based nuc with 16gb RAM which is mainly used for Lightroom. Since getting a newer camera the huge (compared to my old camera) RAW files are proving a bit much for it so I'm thinking of getting a newer nuc with a faster quad core i5 CPU. But that's not the question..... Do I go 8gb of 16gb of RAM? If I go 8 should I get 2 4gb sticks to use dual channel or should I get one 8gb one so I can add a second in the future?

I don't do much gaming (nothing recent) or any video editing. It mainly office work, browsing, and primarily Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks

Dave

Associate
OP
The main limiting factor on my current nuc is definitely the i3 at the moment. Not having built any computers for far to long now I just wondered what the new "minimum" was. I think last time I went 16gb, just because I could. I don't ever fully utilise it so I'm thinking probably 8 is the way to go. 2x4 or 1x8 though?

Cheers

Dave

Associate
OP
That my thinking. 1x8gb is a few quid cheaper than 2x4gb and means in the future I can easily just buy a second 8gb. But 2x4GB mean an upgrade in the future will involve replacing both. Though I will get whatever benefit of having dual channel ram is with 2x4gb.

Dave

Soldato
Depending on how long you leave it, finding that matching stick might be difficult. They obviously don’t need to match exactly, but better if they do.

Your probably better off going for 16GB in the first place if you can.

Soldato
Am I missing something obvious? I would assume your current NUC is DDR4 so buy a new i5 or i7 Nuc and just transfer across the 16GB you have now?

Associate
OP
I usually go for some generic crucial RAM so matching is less tricky. I'm never sure how much it matter but I have always been quite particular about matching pairs of RAM!

Dave

Associate
OP
Existing NUC is DDR4 2133 as it's a 6th gen i3. New Nuc will be DDR4 2400. I think it might work, but I can't get any consistent info from Intel. Their is a compatibility list with some 2133 stuff on, but it's not the stuff I have. I might buy the nuc, take one stick out of it and see if it works as it's a dual channel 2x 8gb kit of crucial.

Dave

Associate
OP
Thanks Finners, sounds like a good plan. I take it there is no significant performance loss in using 2133 in a system designed for 2400?

Dave

Soldato
Thanks Finners, sounds like a good plan. I take it there is no significant performance loss in using 2133 in a system designed for 2400?

Dave

Not significant, I would assume you are losing way more performance by using a NUC instead of a larger form factor due to the CPU's having to run at such low clockspeeds. But those extra cores and threads on an i5 or i7 just be careful with some of the newer i5's as I think they are only dual cores too like your i3. Ideally you want something that runs faster and is 4/c8T but I'm not sure what your options are with NUC's

Back
Top Bottom