Another My First PC Build. Advice please.

Associate
Evening all.
I hope you're all well despite the current circumstances.
Please forgive me for asking what I imagine is a very common subject especially with people who come to ask this one thing, but if you could bear with me and offer any pointers I would be hugely grateful.

Right, my PC background. The last games I played on PC was GTA San Andreas and Doom 3, so that's what I have as a "comparison" and I'll be damned if I could tell you the Specs of that PC now. Basically a potato with a key board and mouse. I moved to console because it was "easier" (xbox360 and now PS4 Pro) but have always missed a PC.
Anyway fast forward 10 years I'm going to make the plunge and build a gaming rig. I can't put it off any longer. That's what it will be, a gaming PC, occasional CV writing and the usual email checking, good ol' eBay and you tube. No streaming, overclocking, editing or anything along those lines.
I'm not chasing 4K just a solid 1080p I feel will be more than enough. VR capability would be nice but not a necessity. This said the GPU's I'm looking at IIRC are VR ready.
I'm willing to spend around the 1k mark for the tower, Monitor (£300 thereabouts) OS and peripherals on top of, but if the 1k could also cover most of the monitor too that would be ideal.

I've spec'd the following:
Ryzen 5 3600
Tomahawk B450 Max
16GB 3000/3200 corsair RAM
512GB M.2
RTX 2060 GPU or the slightly cheaper GTX1660Ti? From what I've seen comparison wise it's about 10fps more for the 2060 and obviously the slightly different specs too.
Zalman S2 case, 4 fans I couldn't give a monkeys about what the tower looks like, RGB would be wasted on me so long as it looks like it has good air flow I have no other criteria.
EVGA Bronze 700w PSU - probably over kill but I'm thinking about newer hardware further down the line.

Shopping around I have managed to find this for a smidge over £800 with the 2060 GPU minus shipping costs.

The monitor. Again, I have zero experience or knowledge in - LG 27GL63T seemed like a nice spec for a reasonable price. I've watched several reviews on all sorts but again the reviews are given my people who live with this Tech and have a good solid background and knowledge base to make their judgements on....my background. As stated. Is a potato.

Basically coming in as a novice the choice of things is hugely overwhelming. I'd like to build something that is relatively "future proof" and will last me a good while 4 years ish without having to spend on upgraded hardware....ideally. Games I'm leaning towards are CS:GO, Battlefield 5, Fortnite, and anything AAA that takes my fancy. I'm not looking at playing everything on Ultra just a good solid gaming experience.

Finally, with the potential for Big Navi and Nvidas 3000 series GPU's showing their faces in September I believe and I think I read about CPU launches too. Is it worth putting it off for a few months? Do previous generations of hardware move down the price brackets with new launches or doesn't it work like that, and would it really filter down and affect at the price point that I'm looking at?

That's enough waffle. Hopefully it makes a little sense. Any help/advice or pointers will be gratefully received.

Take care all

John

Soldato
Are you planning on overclocking your RAM because Ryzen works best at 3600MHZ?

I recommend you get a 1TB SSD, there is the WD Blue. 512MB wil go very quick with today's game requirements.

I don't think EVGA are a good PSU brand mate. Seasonic, SuperFlower, Corsair are very good.

Soldato
Here’s my build suggestion :)

Ryzen 3600 is definitely the way to go forward atm with price to performance. 16GB 3600MHz RAM is the sweet spot. 1TB NVMe should do to begin with for your OS and games.

5700 XT (AMD’s current top GPU) fits in your budget nicely. Will run any game max settings @ 1080p easily. You could even go 1440p with it if you wanted.

For now I’ve got a really nice AOC 1080p panel in there that has 144Hz refresh rate (makes everything feel very smooth on screen), FreeSync to avoid tearing and IPS for some nice colours.

Case is entirely personal preference, but this is a good one for the mATX build I’ve put forward as an idea.

AFAIK the Nvidia Ampere GPUs being released this year are the top end models. Could be worth waiting but personally don’t think it’s going to help prices for this bracket of GPUs.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,218.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Thank you both, appreciate it. I'd not even given team reds GPU's a thought, as there seems to be plenty of articles on driver and performance issues? I'm sure I could find similar articles with nvidea it just seemed to be more prevalent and easily found with radeon. As stated in my OP I have zero grounds for making statement like that it's just something that I have noticed in the few months that I have been nosing around at this again.

Soldato
If you absolutely have to buy now, buy a bottom-end GPU (RX 570, GTX 1650 Super) with the expectation of buying a new GPU and monitor in September.

Back
Top Bottom