Another parking ticket myth finally slain.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28772019 said:
However would you have the same view if a branch of McDonalds setup ANPR cameras to automatically fine anyone who stayed in the carpark for more than 7 minutes?

If not, that rather suggests perhaps there is a threshold of reasonableness.

iirc Dolph is fairly libertarian, in which case, then he would be all for McDonald's to do such a thing, but then the glorious hand of the freemarket would bankrupt the franchise as no one would go there.

Soldato
I also don't have a problem in this case with the ruling.

The car park is for a retail park, it's a 2 hour limit, that's all fair and reasonable, as long as it's very clearly signed..

At the end of the day, its the landowners car park, if he wants to employ a company to run it that way, as long as they aren't trying to deliberately mislead people etc, then I see zero chance to see anything negative..

There are many other 'unfair' examples that I think I'd rather concentrate my wrath and anger on.. :)

Permabanned
I also don't have a problem in this case with the ruling.

The car park is for a retail park, it's a 2 hour limit, that's all fair and reasonable, as long as it's very clearly signed..

At the end of the day, its the landowners car park, if he wants to employ a company to run it that way, as long as they aren't trying to deliberately mislead people etc, then I see zero chance to see anything negative..

There are many other 'unfair' examples that I think I'd rather concentrate my wrath and anger on.. :)

What of you go shopping and then go for something to eat but there is s delay in the restaurant?

v0n

v0n

Soldato

Well, not if the parking terms are regulated by contractors. Halfords stores in Kent are good example - 30 minute limit, 4 hour no return, often not enough to get bike serviced. Clients shout at salesmen and staff but store staff can't help because someone higher up the plc signed off maintenance to TPS henchmen for several years and they just run it like Chicago mafia (to the detriment of the store). 2 hours is almost unheard of now, except for big out of town centres.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, not if the parking terms are regulated by contractors. Halfords stores in Kent are good example - 30 minute limit, 4 hour no return, often not enough to get bike serviced. Clients shout at salesmen and staff but store staff can't help because someone higher up the plc signed off maintenance to TPS henchmen for several years and they just run it like Chicago mafia (to the detriment of the store). 2 hours is almost unheard of now, except for big out of town centres.

But this judgement doesn't mean that any and all restrictions are reasonable.

Soldato
I find your lack of negotiating ability disturbing....;)

Is that an admission to having had to negotiate with a restaurant to cover a parking ticket you got for overstaying? :eek: ;)

Surely you wouldn't have infringed on a landowners rights in such a manner :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28775099 said:
Unless you are trying to set somebody up by preparing to declare BUT ACTUALLY I HAD PERMISSION LOL then this sort of behaviour is exactly why we are in this mess in the first place.

I didn't know the Parking Eye was there, it was freshly installed and it was dark. Poor signage was also one of the reasons I contested the ticket. Only ticket I've ever had, I don't make a habit of defying parking restrictions.

MW

Soldato
What of you go shopping and then go for something to eat but there is s delay in the restaurant?

What if I put 2 hours on a pay and display ticket in another car park and the same things happens? I'd still have to go back to my car and sort it out..

Hmm... if the car park is just for Halfords, then I doubt it's TPS being so heavy handed as much as either it's a deterrent for non halfords shoppers to not use it, or some genius in halfords accounting has figured out having a 30 minute limit puts their footfall up.. or something in-between.

I have to say that I still don't get it. I don't shop anywhere I feel doesn't serve my needs (and that includes parking), it's up to the landowner/shops to balance things so they get enough footfall, and if that doesn't suit me I just don't shop there.. I don't feel that I should be allowed to do what I feel is reasonable on their premises if that's against their idea of reasonable. Of course, as I said, if they are deliberately trying to mislead people through hiding signs and not being very open and upfront, then I think that needs stopping.

Also I've seen the other side of things like a recent outlet center opened near us with it's own paid multi-storey car park. Across the road is a small retail park that has a free car parking and obviously it's rammed with people who park over there and walk over to the outlet center. So quite rightly, they've put in place some moderate restrictions which they are enforcing on the use of the free car park. I actually park in the paid multi-storey and when we've finished in the outlet center, we walkover the road to the retail park where you see people moaning about the enforcement notice they've come back to, to which I have zero sympathy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had an invoice from Parking Eye for overstaying by 20 minutes in a car park that was free for the first two hours. They charged me £60 if I paid within the first so many days then after that it would rise to £120 so I paid it straight away. Not sure if others would have just ignored the letter or tried to argue against it. In my mind that amount of money is a bit unreasonable, especially as I would have paid for say 4 hours if it was a pay and display car park.

Man of Honour
What if I put 2 hours on a pay and display ticket in another car park and the same things happens? I'd still have to go back to my car and sort it out..

You can't go back and 'sort it out' unless 'sorting it out' involves driving away and shopping elsewhere instead. There is no option to pay for parking beyond the free 2 hours, which would be reasonable.

Instead, there is just an 'invoice'.

Soldato
I think the mistake this guy made was responding to them in the first place.

You have to respond or it will go to debt collectors and you won't be able to contest it, as it costs them something like £27 to run your plate through the DVLA to get your address.

1. Contest it with Parking Eye - Use the letter templates from Money Saving Experts
2. They'll inform you that you've failed and will provide you a POPLA code
3. Contest with POPLA
4. Win

Takes around 2 months for the entire process, this does not work with all parking tickets though.

MW

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28791025 said:
You can't go back and 'sort it out' unless 'sorting it out' involves driving away and shopping elsewhere instead. There is no option to pay for parking beyond the free 2 hours, which would be reasonable.

Instead, there is just an 'invoice'.

All I meant was you have to go back to your car and find the next nearest car park or leave.

There are pay and display car parks that have a max 2 hour stay restrictions, and no one is up in arms about that? Because it's entirely reasonable that if you make it quite obvious that a 2 hour max stay restriction is in place then you should expect people to be diligent in managing their time.

I can cite many times I've had to return to car parks due to time restrictions and managed to sort it out without getting a ticket.. Sure it might have caused some inconvenience, but then I simply show any displeasure by not shopping where I feel my needs aren't met.

Soldato
FFS, Parking Eye are unbelievably smug about their wins: http://www.parkingeye.co.uk/motorist-information/

I got a bill from them at the Odeon in Southampton, I didn't know you had to validate your parking since they added the automated system. In that case I contacted Odeon who cancelled the charge for me.

I don't go to the Odeon any more, the answer is take your business elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom