ANOTHER school shooting in the US

Surely there must be more support for banning gun ownership in the US now... this is the third gun incident in a school in one week! I understand people who support gun ownership but it's quite simple that if they were illegal then fewer people would own one and these occurances would be less likely.

His wife described him as a loving and caring husband, surely someone must have known something was up with him though. Apparantly something that happened 20 years ago is cause for him to tie the girls up and execute them :confused:

Visage said:
No doubt the gun nuts would proclaim that this would be just as likely if guns were illegal.......

The NRA site on stopping a gun ban is interesting. They're banging on about how the U.N are conspiring against US citizens to take away their right (the 2nd amendment) to bear arms. Calling U.N members "dictatorships, terrorist states and so-called “free” nations of the world".

I wonder how many of those 80million American gun owners can think about the bigger picture and see beyond their "need" to protect their home. I thought the law was there to do that anyway?

afraser2k said:
We have gun laws yet have a very serious problem with gun crime, as well as knife crime instead of guns. In the US it would be the same if a ban was introduced, it would solve nothing.

"Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings."

"In 1997—the most recent year available—there were 89 firearm deaths per day, or a firearm death every 16 minutes"

That is a serious problem

Do you have anything to back up your claim that a ban would solve nothing?

We also hear about children in the US taking gun's to school. Where do you think they get these gun's? I'd hazard a guess at their parent's cupboard. If a ban on gun's prevented just one person (especially a school girl) being killled it would be worth it.

squiffy said:
Blah.... :rolleyes: ....blah

Lol, rolleyes! :rolleyes:

We NEED cars, please enlighten me why the US people "need" guns? For protection? I dont think so. If it is for recreational purposes then shooting ranges and gun alleys can stock their own guns and keep them on premises safe.

Fact - ban gun's = less gun ownership = fewer such awful incidents.

Got kids by any chance? If you did and you lived in a society where a lot of people owned a gun would you feel comfortable given all these incidents?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

afraser2k said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

I just look at our news about all the gun crime we have. We have a ban on guns in the UK and still have a major problem with gun crime. A ban on guns will only make a few people feel better for a few weeks until it happens again.

Our children are taking air rifles into school as well as knives and many other weapons. If children want to kill they'll still do it, no matter if it's a gun, knife, brick or other item used as a weapon.

And who are the people that use guns in our society? Loving husbands who do milk rounds in their local area? I think it would be safe to assume that gun ownership in this country leans towards those who are already on the wrong side of the law. The kind of people that shouldn't be owning a gun in the first place, namely Drug dealers and gang member's.

The point is, a lot of these school shooting's are by "normal" known people, fellow student's and Bob who lives around the corner!

squiffy said:
Are you talking about pre-ban, with legally purchased guns? If not :rolleyes: My father owned a few guns, he was in the RAF and police force. Other members of the gun clubs/range were from the army or from civilian professions.

Usually I find people who have never used guns are been around sensible gun owners are ignorent and the ones most likely to throw their arms in disgust, similar thing to Christians and South Park.

Your arguement is unfounded though.

People who say a ban on guns wont do anything to cut gun crime, perhaps you are right, but we're not talking about gun crime in general, we're talking about some whacko walking into a school and blowing away a bunch of girls just because he got teased at school!

Of course people will smuggle gun's in, but who will these people be? Gangster's, drug dealers and criminals in general. These are people who feel they "need" a gun because of their way of life and if groups of gangs want to shoot it out between themselves then I'm happy for them to go ahead and waste eachother.

In this instance, and what seems to be more frequent now than ever, are your average Joe down the road who owns a gun because it is his consititutional right and because his mind has popped he decides to use his gun to blow away a group of innocent children!

You can't compare gun's to knives either. If this man didn't have access to gun's then I very much doubt he could have entered the school and caused so much destruction. The teacher and pupils were instantly held under hostage by use of firearm's. If he had used a knife the teacher/s could have attempted to defend themselves and the children!

Back
Top Bottom