Another spec me a keyboard post...

Soldato
...when its clearly a personal, subjective choice, I know :D

Just want some advice on what's a good, reliable, well built brand nowadays. Currently have a corsair K70 red (non RGB) with cherry red switches. Beautiful for gaming on, utterly vile and exhausting for typing on. I have to hover my hands over the keys and continuously correct and delete other keys that a gnat has landed on or if I've wafted over. Far too sensitive for typing. It cost me £110 and and it was great for gaming, the main purpose of this PC, but fast forward ~8 years and I need/want a new one. It's beyond saving with cleaning.

Requirements:
- not cherry red switches, as above, awful. I'm literally tense and aching typing this post.
- not blue, they're too loud/clicky. Brown?
- budget, not sure, let's say up to £150. I don't want to go nuts spending hundreds, but a keyboard is literally the thing I interact with the most, even more than the mouse, and it needs to last years, so I do not begrudge spending on 'premium'
- thinking about it, half the ergonomic issues is this desk is small, so the keyboard is offset causing me to twist. Not good. Perhaps a TKL or a more compact one might work better.
- RGB - yeah not gonna lie, I'd like it. Motherboard is MSI and fans are LianLi so if I could integrate it without another piece of software, great, but not a deal breaker.
- macro keys- hmmm, not really fussed, and as above, I can't really fit a bigger keyboard. I had them on my G25 years ago and they were great, but they were far from a gaming necessity.
- not Razer. Nothing against the brand, just never been a fan of their style or ergonomics.

I'm aware I'm talking mx switch types, as this was the rage and the main player when mechanicals came back as a fashionable thing for gaming. I know there are other, better options, but I don't know anything about them really. Not really anywhere I can go and have a play first either.

So, can you recommend brands to look at? Models to avoid?

Thanks!

Harry

Last edited:
Soldato
For £150 you could possibly get one of the Custom boards that are available right now and in stock. I personally having only used custom boards now wouldn't touch anything less but that's just me. You soon come to realise just how cheap and crappy these gaming keyboards are compared to the custom stuff that are in a similar price bracket.

Soldato
OP
For £150 you could possibly get one of the Custom boards that are available right now and in stock. I personally having only used custom boards now wouldn't touch anything less but that's just me. You soon come to realise just how cheap and crappy these gaming keyboards are compared to the custom stuff that are in a similar price bracket.
Something for me to read up on dude, never even crossed my mind. Thanks

What brands should I be considering for quality, comfort, and longevity? I love building things, so actually this sounds like a fun project...

Last edited:
Soldato
Something for me to read up on dude, never even crossed my mind. Thanks

What brands should I be considering for quality, comfort, and longevity? I love building things, so actually this sounds like a fun project...

Zoom, Jris, Freebird to name a few are great entry level boards in varying form factors.

Associate
Low profile = Keychron S1
Gaming = Steelseries Apex Pro or Wooting HE60
Typing = Custom barebones with lubed switches

For an all in one solution, I'd look at the Steelseries Apex Pro.

Soldato
You need to find a switch type that you get on with for general use. I favour browns, good middle ground for gaming and productivity. Buying a recommendation without switch understanding is a waste of time, custom builds could be the way to go but the above still stands.

You can actually buy mini boards to load different switches onto for testing, but it's not really the same as typing on a proper setup.

For reference, I'm a fairly advanced typist and can push between 140-160wpm depending on the board. Slower than I used to be but age is a sod and I'm a little out of practice!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom