Another TJ07 build - sorry

Associate
Prologue:
So finally decided to put my project log on ocuk. I have actually mostly finished this build (about 75% done) but decided it was still worth putting in the project log forum, cos it's still a work in progress.

I originally started this project due to having 2x7970's in crossfire and being annoyed at the excessive noise from the reference coolers. so i thought i'd watercool them. but my antec one case was way undersized for that, so i went on the lookout for a new case.
i had the idea that i might mod the case a little bit but i wanted a mostly understated and clean looking outside to the case. i saw the tj07 and liked the look of it, but was put off by the price and that it was a little out of date, and didn't want to pay so much for an old case.
my ambition for the project grew after i started it, and what was initially gonna be a case of watercooling what i already had, it ended up being a full build with only the 7970s being retained from my old system.
finally, i will try and keep this log in chronological order and make posts as if i was doing this in real time. feel free to make suggestions, if it turns out i already did what you suggested, then great minds think alike :)

So i start my build with the case. i got lucky with a new unused TJ07 on ebay. Only cost £75, can you guess why?
imag0361k.jpg

Associate
OP
So first thing to know is i have a paintshop, so painting the case is not gonna be a problem. but i want to get it done quickly. Not least because i don't want anyone to see that i bought a pink computer case.
first stage strip it down.
imag0362d.jpg

imag0363y.jpg

I decided to paint all the inside surfaces in candy apple red. i thought it would contrast well with my understated plans for the outside. also most people tend to go for black inside and i like to be different.
imag0364ry.jpg

imag0365f.jpg

And this is what it looked like put back together. I swear this is blood red and not pink like it looks in the pictures, damn my rubbish camera
imag0366o.jpg

Associate
OP
With the insides painted i masked it all out and painted all the outside surfaces matt black. My plan is to have no 5 1/4 bays at all so no need to paint any of that rubbish, yet.
I also filled the front led holes, so there is only a power switch on the front, no leds or reset switch. i wanted the outside to be as clean as possible. I almost glued the front io panel shut and filled it, but in the end i decided it would be useful and i could still make it look neat with it in place.
Because all matt black would be a little too boring i decided to highlight the 2 strips that round around the middle of the case. for this i used a special copper paint, that is mostly made of copper, and when it is polished, it has most of the same lustre as natural copper.
here is the case masked out for the copper paint
imag0367wy.jpg

With the copper paint applied, before polishing. it looks totally flat and brown at this stage

imag0368f.jpg

And after polishing it looks like this.

imag0370e.jpg

imag0369m.jpg

Associate
OP
So after getting the case mostly completed, i set about getting together the parts to put in it. this was the time i decided to upgrade to a full new build with all new components.

starting with the mobo. asus rampage iv formula. i didn't go for the extreme cos i didn't think it offered anything extra that needed.

imag0431q.jpg

in addition i also bought (not all at once)
intel 3930k
aqua computer aquagratix waterblocks
aqua computer kryos cpu block
EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (480)
alphacool 240mm slim rad
Aqua Computer Aquatube Delrin Reservoir - white
Aqua Computer D5 pump motor with USB and aquabus interface
aquaero 5 LT USB fan controller
6 coolermaster sickleflow fans with red led
corsair ax1200i psu

various other bits and pieces

this is what it looks like with a few items temporarily installed

imag0465rg.jpg

Soldato
In the pictures the red doesn't work for me, but I'm sure it looks very different in real life.

Interested in that copper paint though. Is it base & clear or just throw it on and polish it? Link to a supplier if you can please :)

Associate
OP
In the pictures the red doesn't work for me, but I'm sure it looks very different in real life.

Interested in that copper paint though. Is it base & clear or just throw it on and polish it? Link to a supplier if you can please :)

yeah it's a shame the pics don't show the colour right, wait till the end of the build log for better pics.

the copper paint is a homebrew recipe, i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you :)

Associate
OP
time for an update

i decided to get the backplates for the aquagratix waterblocks. they come in a boring matte black so i decided to paint them in the same red as the inside of the case. again as i said before, this really is quite a dark red, but anyway

imag0461fo.jpg

Associate
OP
this is a pic of the res on display in the front of the case where the drive bays used to be.

imag0466n.jpg

and here is an early attempt at cable management around the back of the case. i still have some more cable sleaving to do and a few more routing issues to sort out.

imag0499s.jpg

You can also see that i have mounted the ssd and mechanical drive on this side. the hdd only just fits on the side of the drive bays but it all works.

Back
Top Bottom