• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another which one thread 7900GT or X1800XT 512Mb

Associate
Ok so I know this is another which gfx card thread but I just cannot decide and they are both so closely priced as well.
Sapphire Radeon X1800 XT 625MHZ PCI-E 512MB 256BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3
or
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3

The ATi is $389 CDN and the Nvidia is $359 CDN

I'd go for the 7900GT (cheapest one i could find) then do the simple volt mod and watch it fly :cool:

I would go for the 7900GT if you plan to volt-mod it, if not then I'd buy the X1800XT as it's a bit more powerful at stock and will allow you to enjoy HDR and antialiasing at the same time. :)

Both are good buys though, and both of those are extremely cheap, by the way. It makes me want to move to Canada. :( (Unless that's without tax, of course.)

Last edited:
both are very good, i went from a x1800xt 512mb to a bfg 7900GT and haven't looked back, I made the change due to finding the x1800xt far too buggy.
I wouldn't say that it made a massive performance increase but then again i only really play in 1024x768 or 1280x1024 on rare occasions. The 7900GT clocks very well tho :D 550/1600 stock volts and cooling (temps idle around 41c / load 53c). The main benefit it has over the x1800xt i noticed was it's a lot quieter and cooler!

Unfortunately those prices are plus tax @ 14% :(
I am also planning on buying a new tft soon and will probably go for a Dell 2005 WFP, from what you guys are saying its pretty much 50/50 between the two cards.

Viral said:
Unfortunately those prices are plus tax @ 14% :(
God I hate this country. :( Do you have a room to rent? :D

Viral said:
I am also planning on buying a new tft soon and will probably go for a Dell 2005 WFP, from what you guys are saying its pretty much 50/50 between the two cards.
I can't remember what the native resolution of that monitor is, but you'll find that the ATi solution will pull ahead in higher resolutions with antialiasing etc. at stock. The 7900GT will be more powerful overall if you volt-mod it though.

Last edited:
As that's the overclocked version of the 7900gt I guess it'll perform similarly at stock to the X1800XT, though the ATI card probably will do better at 1600x1200 and above because of the extra vram.

As everyone else notes the 7900gts clock very well indeed. Mine has a stock speed of 450/1320, but it overclocks (while remaining totally stable) to beyond gtx speeds. Even without doing the volt-mod it'll probably run at 530/1650 easily enough. If you're not into overclocking though the X1800XT is probably slightly better, though unless you're playing at 1600x1200 (or more) I think you'd be better saving your money and going with the 7900gt.

wellibob said:
Think of power usage, noise and heat with the top Ati cards, apart from that there very good. :)

there is no noise... :confused: im running a crossfire master card X1800xt 512mb, i play bf2 maxed out all day and dont hear a peep from it...

The ATI X1800XT card will run very quietly.

The ATI X1800XT is the faster card at stock, and they overclock very well generally.

The extra ram on the X1800XT 512MB card will likely come in handy for the newer games coming out.

My choice would be the X1800XT.

wellibob said:
Think of power usage, noise and heat with the top Ati cards, apart from that there very good. :)

i also forgot to add that they arnt that power hungry, im running 2 Xsata drives, 2X 120mm fans fan controller box, 4 sticks of ddr, a heavily overclocked cpu and an X1800XT all off a 400 Watt akasa psu and the rails are nice and stable.

the heat isnt an issue as the cooler does a damn fine job of scooting it out of the back of the case effeciently and quietly.

Back
Top Bottom