Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
OP
fishsmell said:
The fan in the lower drive bay is too noisy (HELP: what's the best fan to replace this with?)

Remove it completely. Unless your HD's are generating a lot of heat or you have a fanless PSU, then the fans on your PSU should move enough air for itself and the harddrives. Thats how mine is anyway. But then I only have 2 HD's in the bottom.

right..., I recently transfered my components into my new p180 and have noticed my hardrive access light flashes once every secound perfectly, but I did not have this problem in my wavemaster case, now some people have sugggested that it is b-cos the led in the p180 is more sensitive, now just as a case of elemintation can anybody that has the p180 confirm to me if they have the same problem, thanks for any help.

Associate
came to finishing off plugging cables in and i found it has 2x HD.LED connectors but only pins to connect one. does it matter which or is there some were else i can plug it in ?

Associate
OP
lowrider007 said:
right..., I recently transfered my components into my new p180 and have noticed my hardrive access light flashes once every secound perfectly, but I did not have this problem in my wavemaster case, now some people have sugggested that it is b-cos the led in the p180 is more sensitive, now just as a case of elemintation can anybody that has the p180 confirm to me if they have the same problem, thanks for any help.
Ive gone from a wavemaster to a p180 and I don't have that problem (and the reason suggested I dont think can be correct, because both cases just have LED's soldered to the wires!).

I would suggest checking the LED header is plugged in correctly to the motherboard. Also check that your HD isn't acctually seeking every 1s. Its possible it is if you are running some sort of logger or monitoring program.

Associate
OP
dunny87 said:
came to finishing off plugging cables in and i found it has 2x HD.LED connectors but only pins to connect one. does it matter which or is there some were else i can plug it in ?
Nope it doesn't matter. There are 2 seperate HD connectors on the front. You can plug the other LED into something else but only if it fits and it will work. I cannot think of anything else that it would fit on and its probably best not to experiment incase you shortout your motherboard!

Associate
I'm wanting to close the top fan hole and the rear mesh where the plastic graphics card cooler sucks in air. I've currently have one rear and one front fan on medium with great temps but some of the sound is getting out through these holes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Associate
Black Dog - you could try Acoustipack - I have covered the rear mesh by the PCI-E slot with it and it has made to a difference to the overall noise level. On SPCR, someone had covered the inside of the spoiler on the top of the case with the same material to deflect noise further.

Associate
I have acoustipack on my Sonata but it's pretty much stuck on. I have some of the foam blocks that you put in the spare floppy, cd, and hd racks but no means of sticking it on!

May just use some masking tape to stick them on!

Soldato
Right, my motherboard has just arrived so the moment of truth, do the power connectors from the Hiper 580watt modulat PSU reach the connectors on an Epox 9npa+ motherboard in an antec P180 case....

Yes, they do (just). If they were at the top of the board it might be a push, they'd directly reach, but as soon as you started trying to maneouver them around components you'd struggle so it'd depend on the layout of the motherboard.

In my case both the 24pin and 4pin cable reach quite happilly over the graphics card (HIS X800XL with the preinstalled vga cooler). I was lucky in that my combination of expansion cards (the just graphicas card and a generic wireless card) had enough space between the PCB of the add in card and the motherboard at the front to allow me to put the 4pin cable under there. If I had to add an extra card it wouldnt go however as the cable is pretty much pulled tight and obscures the final PCI slot like this, but if you were happy for it to remain on top of the VGA card you'd have no problem.

Amazingly, it's also possible to fit the VGA duct on if you want it, as you can push the power cables far enough to the side.... however, the layout of this motherboard, with the PCI-E x16 slot after the three PCI-E x 1 slots means you'd actually be blowing more air over the PCI-E x1 slots than the X16 slots... I'm going to leave mine off.

cablelength2.jpg

Soldato
riven said:
Remove it completely. Unless your HD's are generating a lot of heat or you have a fanless PSU, then the fans on your PSU should move enough air for itself and the harddrives. Thats how mine is anyway. But then I only have 2 HD's in the bottom.

I've put the fan from the bottom of the case at the top near the CPU (as it pushes more air for a similar level of noise), and then moved the thin fan from near the CPU to the front of the case in front of the drive bays there.

Soldato
That looks good, I should get my case tomorrow or Saturday, Im hoping I have no problems with my MSI FIS2R motherboard and my sparkle 400 watt PSU.

By the way where can I get some of those nice blue cable cover things? They look ideal.

Associate
My PSU (Tagan) came with that blue braiding already over some of the cables. It's a sort of fabric cover that's really nice. Other ones come with it too.

I think you can get braiding from most electrical retailers.

google it for
"cable braiding"

Last edited:
Soldato
quick question about the front panel audio connectors...

Are they the type with the "normally closed" switch built in, that alter when you plug something into the jack?

I ask as the manual for my motherboard says it automatically disables the rear panel audio if this is the case.

I can't test for myself yet as I'm still waiting for the delivery of my CPU, memory and hard disk (bloody useless competitors, OcUK for the lot next time!)

riven said:
Ive gone from a wavemaster to a p180 and I don't have that problem (and the reason suggested I dont think can be correct, because both cases just have LED's soldered to the wires!).

I would suggest checking the LED header is plugged in correctly to the motherboard. Also check that your HD isn't acctually seeking every 1s. Its possible it is if you are running some sort of logger or monitoring program.

ahhhhhhhhhh,, Finally after 2 system re-builds, 1 reformat, and a hell of allot of stress I have sovled my flashing hardrive led problem, (I even dragged my old wavemaster over to my p180 and bridged the wavemasters led across), anyhow, the problem was my aopen cdrw, as soon as I unplugged the drive my hd led on my p180 case stopped flashing, god knows how this was making my my hd led flash i'll never know, so just in case anybody else ever has the same problem it could be one of your optical drives, thanks for advice tho.

Associate
OP
lowrider007 said:
ahhhhhhhhhh,, Finally after 2 system re-builds, 1 reformat, and a hell of allot of stress I have sovled my flashing hardrive led problem, (I even dragged my old wavemaster over to my p180 and bridged the wavemasters led across), anyhow, the problem was my aopen cdrw, as soon as I unplugged the drive my hd led on my p180 case stopped flashing, god knows how this was making my my hd led flash i'll never know, so just in case anybody else ever has the same problem it could be one of your optical drives, thanks for advice tho.

Lol, now thats weird!

Associate
Hi,

Had a look through thid thread but may have missed this.

Does anybody know if the the Hiper Modular 580W will fit with an Asus AN8 Premium in this case ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom