Anti static straps?

Associate
My civic gives me an electric shock any time I climb out of it after it's been running and I touch the metal on the outside. Obviously the solution is to not touch the metal but it's pretty hard not to do so in car parks with tight gaps etc. Do these anti static straps on the bay actually work or are they useless/break easily?

Soldato
I always used to get a zap from my old Mondeo. I presumed it was caused by my cheap polyester work trousers and just grabbed the door as I stepped out!

Current car doesn't do it though.

Caporegime
Lol, remember when those things first came out, every middle aged man / woman had one in Holland, dragging from the car's rear bumper to prevent the occupants zapping themselves :D

Associate
My wife's Renault does this, seems to be caused by the engine running, as we sat idling on the drive recently, forgot something in the house, I got out to get it and ZAP!

Man of Honour
Lol, remember when those things first came out, every middle aged man / woman had one in Holland, dragging from the car's rear bumper to prevent the occupants zapping themselves :D

At the time they were actually sold as a cure for car sickness. And my first car, a Peugoet 309, used to have a button inside the driver's door which you pressed to earth yourself before you got out.

Soldato
My Mazdas always had a anti zap button on door - 323 was on top of door panel by locking button and 626 were on back of door handle - The Mondeo I had was horrendous so used a anti zap strap I used for circuit boards - screwed one end to earth on door and strap I put round the door handle - Looked cack but it worked

You might find holding your key tight in your hand by metal part then kick door open then earth key before getting out.

Use to really pee me off and couldn't find any reason why it did it - My Focus doesn't do it. Thank God.

Soldato
At the time they were actually sold as a cure for car sickness. And my first car, a Peugoet 309, used to have a button inside the driver's door which you pressed to earth yourself before you got out.

surely the issue is that the whole car and its occupants have accrued a static charge, so earthing to the car isn't going to help?

Soldato
My civic gives me an electric shock any time I climb out of it after it's been running and I touch the metal on the outside. Obviously the solution is to not touch the metal but it's pretty hard not to do so in car parks with tight gaps etc. Do these anti static straps on the bay actually work or are they useless/break easily?

If you touching the metal of the car is giving you a shock, then it's not the car that's the issue, it's you. That shock is your static discharging to earth through the car, earthing the car more isn't going to help, you need to disipate the charge you are building up, which is usually caused by wearing insulating shoes (e.g. with thick rubber soles) or synthetic fabrics of your clothing rubbing against the synthetic fabrics of the car seat.

Solution; wear natural fibres and real leather shoes :p

Back
Top Bottom