Antivirus on Mac

Commissario
My opinion is that the default security that comes built into MacOS is better than the built in security that comes with Windows but still many many people say that there’s no need to add an additional layer of AV or protection to Windows.

I don’t run any AV software on my Macs.

I have no issues with what anyone does or recommends, I base my feelings on what I’m happy with and would encourage everyone to do whatever they’re comfortable with.

Soldato
From a personal computer POV, the biggest concern is malware, so opt for Malwarebytes for Mac. And use an AV if you want to - best case scenario it catches something MacOS related, worse case it prevents you passing on infected files to others.

Xprotect and GateKeeper is fine but unfortunately it can be exploited and bypassed.

If you want to know more then keep an eye on Thomas Reed's twitter and published articles. Plus the MacAdmins Slack (#security channel) has a wealth of info.

As Feek mentions, it's entirely your choice but this is just my two pennies after spending a few years managing Mac's for enterprises.

Permabanned
I haven’t really installed any av on Mac but it’s up to you really.

I restore every so often as it doesn’t take long as I don’t really install much software and there’s no data I keep anyway. If you prefer too just install one.

Associate
I haven't in 27 years and never had a problem. Just don't download random apps and plugins and install them.
I used ClamXAV which is open Source but that was on Apple servers serving hundreds of Networked Mac Home Folders so that the users couldn't harbour files dangerous to Windows colleagues..

Back
Top Bottom