any advice on cable management

Associate
I always start out thinking im going to spend time on cable management but end up stuffing things in and forcing things to fit. are there any tips for staying on top of things during the build process?

anything I should look for in a case? or peripherals that will help?

thanks

Soldato
What I do when I start is put your motherboard,videocard in and their cables as these are the biggest cables you have and sometimes are hard to route.
Then fans if need be buy cable extension's if this will help you route the cables more cleanly.
Buy cable ties or velcro straps and most of all take your time this is the most important part of your build,I've takin 5 plus hours in the past but it's not a problem with my phantek evolv x as it's got panels at the back to hide the cables.

Associate
best advice is to take your time with it as you may find better routes for cables than your initial attempt. I usually try to get a loose idea where I am going to route the difficult cables like clone above said and then see what others I can hide after. I also have just got an Evolv X and although it does have the very handy back panels, there is still quite a lot of work needed to get it right to allow decent air flow etc.

Soldato
are there any tips for staying on top of things during the build process?
Yep - Don't do this 'during'. Cables go in last, so you know what space you have to work with, and get routed according to function and likely access requirements.
For example, if you're likely to upgrade fans, route those in last, on top of things like motherboard power cables.
If you're a hobbyist overclocker and love trying the latest GPUs, have those power cables routed separetely.

Also, take your time, plan things out, try different things, remain calm, and take your time.
If needs be, do what my mate does and get someone else in who will be pedantic and fussy enough to manage your cables better than you care to... which is why he calls me! :D

anything I should look for in a case? or peripherals that will help?
Cases - Anything with bags of room, dedicated cable recesses, tie down points...
Peripherals - Yeah, you can get cable ties, Velcro™ straps, cable combs and various little add-ons to make things a bit tidier. I often use the cheap wire twist-ties that you get on the cables themselves. A couple of long reach tools like needle-nosed pliers also helps.

Back
Top Bottom